Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,651 times

Advertisements

For some Chapel Hill trails, see http://chapelhillparks.org/contentAd...trails_map.pdf

For Bolin Creek Area, check out Town of Chapel Hill Official Website - Bolin Creek Greenway (http://www.ci.chapel-hill.nc.us/index.asp?NID=1382 - broken link) for more information or Friends of Bolin Creek

There are also trails that connect the Bolin Creek area to CH High School. These are accessible off Estes Drive, or from Wilson Park, off N. Greensboro St.

And fyi, here is a map of Carrboro's bikeway, in case that is of interest:
http://townofcarrboro.org/RP/PDFs/Bikeway0305.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
There are fewer listing in the late fall which can be frustrating but if you hunt every day...

There was a fixer near us at a decent price that was listed for one day. You would be wise to learn about the neighborhoods and check the listings every day. Values under $300K get snatched up.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,019 times
You might find the kind of neighborhood you're looking for in your price range in Durham. doesn't have the cachet that CH/Carrboro does, but it does have great neighborhoods (with sidewalks), older homes, good vibe. You can look at Watts-Hillandale, Duke Park, Trinity Park... Watts-Hillandale in particular has an excellent neighborhood association, they have parades and block parties, etc. Very family friendly. And you can walk to Locopops (the original!). We bought in Duke Forest, which doesn't have the great neighborhood feel, but it's easy access to UNC where I work, and we got a half-acre lot, which you won't find in W-H.

When we moved here, we rented in Carrboro and Chapel Hill, which we loved--but we love Durham more and more every day.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,359 times
Default Great links and suggestions for Durham neighborhoods

We really have to check Durham out more carefully. I like the Watts-Hillendale neighborhood from how you describe it. It sounds like exactly the sort of thing that we're looking for. We'll need to drive around.

My only concern is the schools but I just talked to a coworker who is on the school board in Durham and she had good things to say. That's a hot topic around here I know. I also just shared a lunch at Weaver St. Market with a really nice family. The 12 year old niece was a student at Carolina Friends and seemed really awesome and grounded. Not to be attributed to just a school of course but it seemed like she was learning a lot there.

I'm really happy for the links to trails and parks. That sort of stuff is fantastic and we're still just getting settled and don't know the ins and outs yet. We did hit the Life and Science Museum in Durham though and it was such a great place for toddlers.

I've really appreciated the outpouring of ideas.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 AM

81 posts, read 270,316 times
do chapel hill, cary, carborro all have there only downtowns, shopping outlets and malls or do people all travel to one from these areas

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omamia View Post
I'll have to look at Ikea cabinets more closely. I have heard that they're better quality than the furniture and some have rated them quite positively. They look quite pretty in the pictures but usually Ikea does and when you get up close you're disappointed. Here's a link with regards to the great Ikea cabinet debate:

Good Questions: Ikea Kitchen Cabinets? Or Better?

Stephanie
We just redid the kitchen with IKEA cabinets, on the suggestion of our contractor. Before going with them, we looked at the ones that he had put in his kitchen 12 years ago, and they have held up great, and look great still. We're real happy with how ours look and function (went with solid birch doors). And the price was unbeatable, we got 15 linear feet of bottom cabinets and 16 feet of 39" upper cabinets for about $3000 (including all hardware). Definitely worth considering if you are on a budget.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM

23 posts, read 133,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omamia View Post
thanks to everyone for your responses. I think we're still going to be on the hunt for a while. Glad to know that there aren't any neighborhoods that are not family oriented. It's true that things are much more spread out here. Maybe I just have to get used to it. I miss having sidewalks though. Do people go for walks on the street and just hope that cars will stay over to the side?
Also, I'm think I'm going to have to put on a renovation hat when I look at these places. Ikea kitchens anyone?

Any chance property will go down? I keep hearing national stories about the impending housing crisis but I wonder if that's only in California and Florida?
NO! IT"S NJ TOO! We're already in crisis.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,596 times
We are looking in Chapel Hill also and we have a 17 month old. I have the same question on family communities. I have heard about Southern Village and Meadowmont but was told Southern Village is a little further away from everything. In searching online, I have found some nice homes in Lake Hogan Farms along with two new communities - Claremont and Winmore. Is anyone familiar with these communities? We are likely going to look at HOA's since we want a community pool and it is easier to meet people. Can someone comment on family HOA communities in terms of price range for a 2,500-3,00 sq. ft home, updated with high quality kitchen and baths, in an HOA in Chapel Hill? Sorry to piggy back on anothers post - but it is basically what I am looking for also and would rather not start another thread.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
Meadowmont has a beautiful pool club and it seems like they have a nice sense of community there. Rashkis Elementary School is within easy walking distance. But the prices are $$$.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:21 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Can someone comment on family HOA communities in terms of price range for a 2,500-3,00 sq. ft home, updated with high quality kitchen and baths, in an HOA in Chapel Hill?
Be prepared to spend a lot of money. Anywhere between $450,000 and $600,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary