Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,753 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm currently living in Florida. WE've been here for 3 years (originally from long island, ny) and my husband and I are looking into moving to the Raleigh area.

Can anyone give me an idea of what Clayton is like? The Johnston county schools rank up there with wake schools is seems, without all this confusing year round business.

Would it be a little too "country" for us native NYers? We're looking for an area with great schools (our oldest will start kindergarten in 2008) reasonable home prices (low-mid 200s for a 4 br) and easy access to shopping and restaurants. I'd love to live in a community where we could walk to a park/playground and hopefully a community pool.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 AM

36 posts, read 112,134 times
Default Clayton ?

Hi Mrsp,

We've just moved to Clayton from FL.

Clayton is about 25 minutes from Raleigh. We have commuted to Raleigh and Durham dozen times and find the traffic is very light. Highway system in and around Raleigh is much better and logically lay-out than Orlando where we lived. The best part is NO TOLL as for now. We hit the peak hour time once and find it is still much better than Orlando.

We find Clayton is a very easy-going type of town. I do not know about "little too country for NYers ?". This must be in "the eye of the beholder" type of question/answer . People are very friendly and eager to help. We are very grateful for this. It makes you feel safe and want to be part of Clayton.

We live in Glen Laurel, a golf course community off 42 E. GL has a pool, tennis and the Neuse River golf course. There is mile of wallking path. House price range is from 200's to 600's. You should be able to find the house of your requirement. We have met all of our neighbor couple houses adjacent and in front of us. They just dropped by or we ran into them when we walked. It's a new experience for us. We are grateful for their hospitality.

Within 15 mile radius, there is shopping to cover just about all taste. It is more than we really need.

Best wishes on your house hunting and moving.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
There are soooooo many threads on Clayton on this board, I suggest you take the time and read through each one.

I moved from Raleigh to Clayton and absolutely love it! You get more house/land for your money in Clayton then you would in Raleigh. I also posted pics of Clayton, look at the very first thread on the board, its in there somewhere.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM

45 posts, read 177,995 times
dukkha2...we too are planning a move from Florida to Clayton and Glen Laurel is at the top of our list right now. We keep checking the listings to see if our faves are still available almost daily. Now if only our house here would sell.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:23 PM

36 posts, read 112,134 times
Hi cwillisfla,

You can make an offer on your GL fave with a contingency on your house in FL sold. Some seller may accept that. They may put in a 72 HR limit on the contract. You have nothing to loose and neither the seller.

Where are you in FL . We still has the house in FL. I understand what you say about the real estate market down there. We pulled it off the market and put it up for rent.

If anything I can do to help, just PM me.

Best wish for your selling your FL home.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
I 2nd what Heather offered. Do a Clayton search on this board and you'll come up with enough reading for AT LEAST a few nights.

We moved to Clayton (sort of...its the Archer Lodge section which is considering incorporating into its own town of Archer Lodge but currently we are called Wendell...but go to Clayton schools) a year ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it here. Tafton is the subdivision. But you'll find many S/Ds within your price range.

What you find too country, may not be for me or someone else. You'd really have to come and take a looksee yourself. lol...I do recall following the realtor thinking, "where the heck is she taking us?" But we love the wide open sky, passing the cows, horses, goats, ducks, etc....to travel the 10 minutes to get to 70 (main thoroughfare).

The commute to Raleigh can be a bit but for some it isn't an issue, for others its a deal breaker. My husband commutes 45 minutes to the RTP but it was a sacrifice he willingly made (and enjoys actually since he carpools with buddies) once we found our "perfect" house.

Our experience with the schools has been amazing too. I have one son going into 3rd grade at River Dell Elem and another who was in the "exceptional child" program for borderline learning/speech delays. He's starting regular Kindergarten in a couple weeks. Both are excelling and love school/learning.

Lauren

Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Oh, I forgot to offer..I live in Cobblestone if you have any questions about Anderson homes..I could answer *steeryouaway* from KB homes. Just kidding. Nice development, lots of folks have opinions about KB homes..I can only speak for my friend who purchased a house there and calls me NEARLY EVERY HOUR complaining about it.
Trust me, its not a good time.
*sigh*

Glen Laurel, Riverwoods, Cobblestone, Wynston Pointe (I think I spelled that correctly), Flowers Plantation..just a couple of neighborhood names to throw out there for you.
Any questions, just ask! Lots of friendly folks on this board from Clayton and we are always glad to help!

Welcome to the board!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 PM

189 posts, read 797,195 times
What about Old Mill Stream Subdivision? I have seen a lot of houses for sale there recently. During our visits we checked out some of the above subdivisions and really loved them.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:21 AM

49 posts, read 159,811 times
Don't forget Lee Forest. There are still some homes for sale there too. We are moving there the first week of September.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:00 PM

62 posts, read 258,346 times
Default Lee Forest

mumded -

We are moving into the Lee Forest Subdivision the first week of Sept. as well! Which lot will be yours? We are on Lot 57 on Kendall Drive. Very excited about our move! I first heard about the subdivision on this board and did some research online (we are in CO), and finally checked it out last week.

Thanks to everyone whose helped with their insight into Clayton!!! We loved the feel of the area and can't wait to get there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary