Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM

242 posts, read 594,131 times

Advertisements

I like all of these communities and my husband & children love love love them. We like the entire setup with the front being "all house" and having the garage & yard behind the house. And we love that the communities have that "old close-knit neighborhood type feel" and the idea of our children being able to play outside in our own little village. They seem very kid-friendly and family-oriented.
For anyone who lives in any of these communities, can you please give me the pros & cons. We're ready to buy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
Amberly, here. I like the proximity to RDU and RTP and my commute time in the morning is under 15 minutes. Southpoint is very close so the wife likes that. The rec center is outstanding (pools, play areas, gym, exercise room).
Cons? For me it's how far I have to go to get to a golf course. The only grocery store nearby is HT's, which isn't bad but they need more competition. Ditto gas stations - the one at 55 and Carpenter FS Rd is a price gouger.
Likely that once Parkside Commons opens all those cons might change.

Other than that, we like Amberly. No complaints.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If you don't mind the small plots I think Amberly is nice. We wanted land so we didn't consider it, but my kids LOVE the pool (my parents live at Carolina Preserve and have privileges there) and my DH has used the other amenities while they are using the pool. Personally I think it's nicer than Carpenter Village just from an observer standpoint of amenities. Congrats on narrowing your search and good luck!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
I have lived over in NW Wake for 3 years and my kids go to Carpenter with the kids from Carpenter Village. My sister in law lives in Amberly. We looked at Kitts Creek. They are all nice. Kitts doesn't seem to be developing very fast due to the economy. How are the amenities at each place compared to HOA fees? I know Amberly is pricey; in the Village Square section (where my SIL loves with 3 kids), the houses are basically townhomes that are detached--2 neighbors can reach through windows and shake hands, and yards are smaller than many townhomes I've seen. I love Carpenter Village b/c of the huge town square area that many of the houses face--the open green space. The pool is nice and has a swim team. It's also the best established. Amberly and Kitts are still building. I know in Amberly's case, that means the developer still has controls and that is kind of scary.

I would pick CV just because of the fact that building is over. The library and elementary are walking distance. Sidewalks and green space abound. Plus there's a little lake.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I've driven through all of them a number of times, and I'd pick Carpenter Village.

I don't really care for anything in far West Cary, though. I'm a local. If you're gonna go that far outta Cary proper, you might as well move to Durham.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Amberly, here. I like the proximity to RDU and RTP and my commute time in the morning is under 15 minutes. Southpoint is very close so the wife likes that. The rec center is outstanding (pools, play areas, gym, exercise room).
Cons? For me it's how far I have to go to get to a golf course. The only grocery store nearby is HT's, which isn't bad but they need more competition. Ditto gas stations - the one at 55 and Carpenter FS Rd is a price gouger.

Full disclosure - we have no kids that live with us so I don't care how much backyard space I have.

I will also comment that if our neighbor sits outside with friends and starts a gab fest then we hear everything through the open window. Can be annoying.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post

Old Chatham golf course is 5 minutes away down O'Kelly Chapel Rd.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincesses View Post
I like all of these communities and my husband & children love love love them. We like the entire setup with the front being "all house" and having the garage & yard behind the house. And we love that the communities have that "old close-knit neighborhood type feel" and the idea of our children being able to play outside in our own little village. They seem very kid-friendly and family-oriented.
For anyone who lives in any of these communities, can you please give me the pros & cons. We're ready to buy!
If you don't mind a more traditionally sited house by a production builder, the Blackstone @Amberly community has larger lots than village square and is completely built out. Tons of children, currently in the Mills Park school district. Monthly block parties in the summer. A long walk or short drive to the Amberly clubhouse and an easy walk down the hill to the trail around the Cary Park lake. Several resales currently on the market.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I have lived over in NW Wake for 3 years and my kids go to Carpenter with the kids from Carpenter Village. My sister in law lives in Amberly. We looked at Kitts Creek. They are all nice. Kitts doesn't seem to be developing very fast due to the economy. How are the amenities at each place compared to HOA fees? I know Amberly is pricey; in the Village Square section (where my SIL loves with 3 kids), the houses are basically townhomes that are detached--2 neighbors can reach through windows and shake hands, and yards are smaller than many townhomes I've seen. I love Carpenter Village b/c of the huge town square area that many of the houses face--the open green space. The pool is nice and has a swim team. It's also the best established. Amberly and Kitts are still building. I know in Amberly's case, that means the developer still has controls and that is kind of scary.

I would pick CV just because of the fact that building is over. The library and elementary are walking distance. Sidewalks and green space abound. Plus there's a little lake.
My kids love the green space in CV. Whenever we eat at Cafe Capistrano, my kids can't wait to finish, so they can run around on the green and play in the haunted gazebo. {haunted is their term as usually they're playing at dusk after dinner, doesn't mean that the gazebo is actually haunted} We looked at houses there when we were buying 5 years ago, but the ones in our price range had lots smaller than we wanted.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My kids love the green space in CV. Whenever we eat at Cafe Capistrano, my kids can't wait to finish, so they can run around on the green and play in the haunted gazebo. {haunted is their term as usually they're playing at dusk after dinner, doesn't mean that the gazebo is actually haunted} We looked at houses there when we were buying 5 years ago, but the ones in our price range had lots smaller than we wanted.
I also like that CV was done primarily by local, custom builders. In fact, I know one that lives out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary