U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 05:10 AM

3,916 posts, read 5,090,288 times

Advertisements

My wife and I fell in love with the Triangle area on our multiple visits during the nearly five years our youngest son lived there. Four distinct seasons (but little winter), vibrant, diverse, lots of green space, growth (sometimes too much but better than the alternative), and the friendliness of the people. Due to the current low real estate prices in the Raleigh area my wife and I may buy our retirement home now, and rent/lease it for the next 10 years or so as absentee landlords. We are not looking for retirement villages or resort towns, just nice family oriented neighborhoods.

Doing this would require a local property management company to screen potential tenants, collect rent, perform/contract required maintenance, perform periodic inspections, etc. Does anyone have experience with a company who excels in providing these services to owners of single family residential property?

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 AM

915 posts, read 2,277,073 times
Which part of the Triangle are you looking in? I'd recommend a firm that does business primarily in the area you're in. That means that they're more likely to check up on it on a frequent basis.

I have some recommendations for Durham.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM

379 posts, read 917,638 times
I just sent you a DM w/info.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM

3,916 posts, read 5,090,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela C View Post
I just sent you a DM w/info.
Got it. Thanks!

The previous comment about these compnies being localized may be extremely valid. Your recommendation has listings in Cary, Morrisville, Apex, and no where else. The previous comment was for a PM firm serving Durham.

Sort of reverses the original order of things for us:
  1. Find a Property Management company(ies) we like & trust.
  2. Find a house we love in the small areas served by the PM firms.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM

915 posts, read 2,277,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Got it. Thanks!

The previous comment about these compnies being localized may be extremely valid. Your recommendation has listings in Cary, Morrisville, Apex, and no where else. The previous comment was for a PM firm serving Durham.

Sort of reverses the original order of things for us:
  1. Find a Property Management company(ies) we like & trust.
  2. Find a house we love in the small areas served by the PM firms.

I would argue to find the house you want first. There's reputable companies in all parts of the Triangle. There's disreputable ones as well. After you find a house you like, head on back here and you'll get lots of feedback about management firms in those areas.

One caveat, though. It may be harder to find a firm that services some of the "farther out" suburbs/exurbs. If you stay in Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Apex/Morrisville/Chapel Hill/Carrborro, though, you'll have no problem finding someone to manage your property for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>