Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Drive for four days with 15 month-old triplets? You've got to be kidding. There are Southwest flights that take only two hours from Midway to RDU. Anyone who can keep 3 toddlers occupied for 4 days in a car can keep them occupied for 2 hours in a plane.

As to car seats, bring them along. The kids can sit in them on the plane. If you fly Southwest, each of you gets to check two suitcases. Surely, you can get everything you need in 10 suitcases.

The best, of course, would be leaving the heirs with the grandparents or godparents, or aunts/uncles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
I have twins, and at that age we did quite a few of 5-7 hour road trips with them. If you have the luxury of time I highly recommend driving just because of the amount of stuff. Plus I like to get out and stretch and have a little space every now & then...and I'm a roadtrip person anyway. There will be plenty of restaurants with playgrounds to burn off some energy. We didn't fly until they were 3..and that was cross country. They were fine about 90% of the time...it was the 10% (when they refused to use the airplane potty and couldn't hold it anymore after 4 hrs!)that was brutal! We drove cross country when they were 3 also & enjoyed it much more! I agree with the surprise bags...I did that on the plane...I stashed dollar store items in their backpacks and they loved it. They kept finding new things that kept them occupied!

Most important...have fun & make it an experience! Good luck to you in your house hunt!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM

68 posts, read 145,771 times
We have 2 1/2 year old twins and a 5 year old daugther. We have driven to Florida from Upstate NY every year and are traveling to Raleigh (again) next week. It's about a 10 hour drive for us. So, we've done a TON of traveling!!

We ALWAYS leave VERY early in the morning..3:00 am or so. That way we can put the kids in the car and they'll go back to sleep. We can often get half way through our trip before anyone even wakes up!

Another way we've done it is to drive just plain ol' straight through. Leaving at bedtime and driving while they're sleeping. We just take turns dozing and we have little to no hassle!

If you're traveling while they're away, you can never have enough snacks!!!!

I've also found it helpful to pack bags for each kid. I'm not sure if your triplets are all boys, girls, b/g..but it's helpful. My twins are boys and I still find it easier to pack each a bag with their own clothes, diapers, etc. There's nothing worse than rummaging through a bag trying to find what you need and ending up with 2 shirts and no shorts, etc. It's also helpful if one of you has to run a child to the bathroom to clean them up for some reason..you just grab that child's travel bag and off you go!

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Drive for four days with 15 month-old triplets? You've got to be kidding. There are Southwest flights that take only two hours from Midway to RDU. Anyone who can keep 3 toddlers occupied for 4 days in a car can keep them occupied for 2 hours in a plane.

As to car seats, bring them along. The kids can sit in them on the plane. If you fly Southwest, each of you gets to check two suitcases. Surely, you can get everything you need in 10 suitcases.

The best, of course, would be leaving the heirs with the grandparents or godparents, or aunts/uncles.
Sure! Getting thru the airport with 2 suitcases, 3 car seats, 3 toddlers and their triplet stroller, and pack-n-plays so they have somewhere to sleep - easy as pie! Not to mention the cost of 5 airplane seats, a rental that can fit the 3 car seats (you'd be surprised how hard it is to fit 3 car seats straight across).

This is why OP asked for advice from people who have experience with multiples!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sure! Getting thru the airport with 2 suitcases, 3 car seats, 3 toddlers and their triplet stroller, and pack-n-plays so they have somewhere to sleep - easy as pie! Not to mention the cost of 5 airplane seats, a rental that can fit the 3 car seats (you'd be surprised how hard it is to fit 3 car seats straight across).

This is why OP asked for advice from people who have experience with multiples!
No need for the snarky remarks. Reread the original post. OP asked for "advice from parents with kids who have traveled long distance." No mention of only seeking responses from parents of multiples or of seeking the cheapest way to do this.

I have traveled all over the country with three small children. When they are older, long car trips can be a family bonding experience. They will read and play with each other and ask constantly how much longer. But a two day trip with toddlers strapped in car seats for hours on end? I'd be dreading the trip home the whole time I was here.

Getting through the airport with all your kids and gear is no big deal. There are SkyCaps all over the place. Bring tip money.

Last edited by PatRoy1; 07-08-2011 at 08:32 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I think either way is totally doable. If you fly, just check your car seats. I've found southwest the easiest airline when I travel with my kids. You dontneed to bring a pack n play, the hotels have them ,just bring some blankets. It depends on if your kids are good or fussy in the car. Mine are great in the car, so driving isn't a problem. Driving will likely be cheaper. A DVD player is helpful on the car or plane.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:37 PM

278 posts, read 576,842 times
Does Amtrak have anything directly to Raleigh? One of their small rooms would hold your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary