Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshonok View Post
Thanks guys! Wow! I really like the Ambiente one - looks so cool!!! Does anyone know what their approximate prices are? There are none on the site, which makes me worry :/

It looks like all other stores in the area (except Ambiente) carry more traditional furniture?

Thanks!
We have friends with a very nice couch from Ambient and it was about $1200 I think--they said it was custom made and about the mid-level for leather, etc. They love that store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-eye View Post
I'd seriously consider NOT going to IKEA, unless you want to replace all of your furniture in a year or two.

I furnished an entire apartment with IKEA: beds, couches, kitchen table & chairs, etc. After a year, I had to move and was grateful I didn't have to take the furniture with me. You'll see sagging, wobbling, etc. after only a year... I am not hard on furniture at all and there were no kids or large animals either. It's crazy how cheap this stuff is. And of course it all requires assembly and sticking this little cheap pegs all over the place. Doesn't matter how many pegs a chair comes with, it'll still wobble.

Try Compton Furniture in Burlington NC - just about 45 mins away. I don't work for them or anything, I am just a very happy customer. I went to dozens of furniture stores all over the triangle and even south and north of here before I found what I was looking for there. I'm not sure if they have the sleek-looking modern furniture... they may have some of that. I was just looking for some comfy living room furniture for a reasonable price. Oh, they are also family owned - not one of these big monster stores trying to take over everybody else - so you'll also be supporting a local family owned business.
I think it depends on our needs. In my house I have precious antiques and hand-made items with really interesting provenance. I also have Ikea stuff and couches from Haverty's. Anything I'd consider keeping for generations is well worth an investment to me (our coffee table was over $1000), but with kids and pets, I've learned that things like couches are going to take a beating and not last anyway unless they're older (aka hand made and built to hold up). It's REALLY hard to find a solid couch that will stand the test of kids, pets, and fashion/style changes over the years. I say figure out what you want to spend and where you are willing to spend it (I'd buy top of the line mattresses, stuff your kids won't be playing on/with like bedroom stuff) and mix things in from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary