Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Does she like to travel? My mother-in-law is REALLY into this organization. . . .

Welcome to Friendship Force International

Friendship Force International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if you can't travel, you can host visitors from other countries and be an "ambassador" for Raleigh. . . . showing them around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
What about NC State’s Encore Program for Lifelong Enrichment -- noncredit short courses, study trips, special events, and extracurricular activities for adults aged 50+. Topics are wide-ranging in the liberal arts and sciences, and the emphasis is on learning for the joy of learning.

Over 1000 adults in the Triangle participate in Encore each year, and the ages range from 50-90+. Encore also offers study trips, social events, and special interest groups.

Encore Program for Lifelong Enrichment - NC State University

Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
I would encourage her to give one of the meetup groups a try. My mother joined a couple of them when she moved here in 2006 at the age of 73, including one for widows and another for 55+. She still attends meetup functions, but has also developed friendships within the groups, and they do things on their own. Yes, it's difficult to go by yourself, and the first step is the hardest, but it will pay off in the long run. Maybe you can go with her to one of the first meetings, and help her meet people?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I wish we had one of these here. I would join in a heartbeat. www.silverconnections.org

Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM

145 posts, read 664,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I wish we had one of these here. I would join in a heartbeat. www.silverconnections.org
I emailed Laura and am meeting with her, she owns this group with my Mom this week - see how it goes, sounds like this is perfect for her. Although she is not a fan of paying $250 a year to be a member though, we will see...... They also have a meet-up group too, all events are listed there tho, just a few, all are on their website which you have to join.

Thank You,
Cindy

Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyInRaleighNC View Post
My Dad past away last July, he was 14yrs older than my Mom. My Mom since Jan has decided she needs a social life and has been trying to find things to do without much luck, then she hit the bar scene - yeah, I know scary.....

She really likes Bone Daddy's on Creekside Dr, nice people her age and I have gone up there with her on Sun afternoons before and I don't get it, I see nothing attractive about the place but I am also 37. Well now looks like they are closing and once again she is clueless about what to do and where to hang out. She is 60 but looks younger and is attracted to around her age or a little younger, yes, she is looking for a man but mainly to do things with a NSA relationship and someone to go out with dinner, movies, hang out etc....

I took her to Cameron Bar & Grill and Village Draft House this past weekend in Cameron Village thinking maybe older people were there but nope just young 20's and 30's crowd....

She has checked out the community centers too and wasn't impressed, so Help my mother and me please......where can she meet nice people, she said maybe she should get back in church, I told her YES do that!!

Any single ladies her age on here that would want to go out with her, she would also like a friend to go out with, she has 1 but she doesn't want to go half the time when she asks and said she is tired of asking her.

And my Mom does NOT have a computer or internet, never got into that, so she can't do match.com or anything either....

So I am asking you here any suggestions of where she should go. In Raleigh only as she lives off New Hope Rd and likes to stay closer to home especially since she usually has a few beers and drives - she is careful and waits 2hours after her last beer to leave usually and knows she can call me anytime she can't drive she doesn't want to call a cab or leave her car though, if she gets a DUI I told her I would NOT be happy with her, who is the parent now I keep asking myself???

Thank You!
Cindy
I would suggest she join City-Data and access it at your house or the library and become a participant in the retirement forum. The following is a well established and very long thread where people discuss this very situation. She will probably find other single ladies her age in the forum who can give her suggestions etc.

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ity-state.html

Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Cindy: Please let us know how it goes and if they really do all the stuff they say they do. I really want to move there from here (AZ) but what holds me back, is not knowing anyone there. It seems like there's more for over 55 people in NC, with history, beaches, mountains, 4 seasons, farming, etc. Here we have alot of retirees my age, but not alot to do. Hope its an answer for your mom...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
Another option is to join an animal shelter like Cat Haven. Nothing like a dozen small furry kittens following you everywhere and chasing lazer pointers/strings around!

Or a dog shelter, or horse farm...

Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,642 times
I second the Encore suggestion above. My in-laws are members of it - they really enjoy it (many different topics each "session") and have met a lot of nice people through it.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM

177 posts, read 304,517 times
Check out this organization: BSP International Home Page
My mom has been a member for 30 years. There are many different chapters in the triangle area. My mother is a member of a chapter with ladies that are 60-80 years old. There are many younger chapters as well. There would be no commitent for your mom to find a chapter she wanted to try and visit for a meeting or social event. One drawback...No Men!! But if she chose to join she would have an instant group of 8-10 women with all kinds of different interests and might lead her to even more social opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary