Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 AM

797 posts, read 3,578,845 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know where to get them, my 6 foot tall german johnson plant growing in my garden that has a good 15-20 large tomatoes on it currently!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidmo View Post
I also tried a German Johnson tomato for the first time last week and it is unbelievable. Anyone know of any where else to get hold of them? I live close to Southpoint mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM

151 posts, read 462,563 times
my csa offers:

red tomatoes $2.50/lb
red roma tomatoes $2.50/lb
yellow roma tomatoes $2.50/lb
pink girl tomatoes $3.00/lb (low acid)
red cherry tomatoes $2.50/pt
yellow cherry tomatoes $2.50/pt
canning tomatoes $20.00/box
red roma tomatoes in bulk $20.00/box

Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,730 times
Speaking of the Crazy Lady produce stand, are there any other places like that around? anyone know of an online listing for local produce options? If I don't necessarily have time to get to the Farmer's Market, and just want to pick up a few things on my way home, where do I go? I thought I would see places on the roadside and I just haven't. (I'm staying in Morrisville, driving MLK parkway to work in Durham, and moving into my house off Dixie Trail this weekend)

I confess, I have been here since June 6 and still not bought anything from a farmer! How embarrassing!

I do have a trip planned to the Farmer's Market this weekend with the exlaws.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,471 times
Wow! These prices seem expensive compared to the Grocery stores around

Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM

226 posts, read 506,748 times
I find the Farmer's Market is hit or miss on pricing. You can get some really good deals, but a lot of times the prices are higher than I'd expect.

While this may not be true, I think the main advantage to the FM over grocery stores is that produce is riper, there are more varieties and cultivars, and it's grown in NC (supposedly...not sure how much I believe that's gospel anymore). Plus you'd be hard pressed to buy a bushel of Dixie Lee peas from Food Lion for anything approaching reasonable pricing.

It seems crazy to me to buy a tomato picked green in Mexico, then shipped here, where it sits for days on the grocery shelf, when I can buy an actual ripe tomato grown within 20 miles of Raleigh.

I've not been to it myself, but are the prices at the North Hills market comparable?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Corn @$5/dozen - I think I'll do without. That price can be matched in any grocery store if you wait a week or two for an average sale. I long for the days of $1/dozen ears of corn. Stop ethanol subsidies now!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
id rather pay more at a farmers market and get fresh, local produce than buy anything at a grocery store. Taste and quality trumps price any day.

jmo...
Here is a good point. How much of the produce is local grown? The same peaches you buy at the market are the same sold at the grocery, Granted Grocery stores buy more. This was a point that I was looking for in another thread I posted a couple of weeks ago. Where are the true farmers market? I use to sell produce years ago that we did not use for home canning. I remember we had a few bushels of yellow squash that the local grocer at the time did not need. We rode to the farmers market at the W-S fair ground. We were sell a bag with rough two to three pounds for .50 per bag. This was in the late 70's. A couple of vendors came for inside the build said we had to leave. My dad ask why. They said we needed to sell at the same price as everyone else. My dad said ok. Got a piece of cardboard and marker wrote FREE!!!! A true farmer. We made a little bit not a killing. Many of the vendors are selling the same produce that the stores are.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
just like to throw this out there. food lion has tomato on sale this week for .99 lb. Not organic or local.
You're right. Not local at all. The last tomatoes I saw at Food Lion had a sticker saying "Product of Canada." It's not like tomatoes are an exotic fruit that must be imported.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Yes, I know where to get them, my 6 foot tall german johnson plant growing in my garden that has a good 15-20 large tomatoes on it currently!!
I have four Better Boys. Free table has already hit the street.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
You're right. Not local at all. The last tomatoes I saw at Food Lion had a sticker saying "Product of Canada." It's not like tomatoes are an exotic fruit that must be imported.
Question:

How many Egg Plant farmers are there in NC?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Question:

How many Egg Plant farmers are there in NC?
I found some information on the NC Department of Agriculture's website. It lists 18 different eggplant growers. The link is here:

Eggplant Listings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary