U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 PM

17 posts, read 54,972 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have any recommendations for custom framing and matting? I'm looking to have about 20 (irregular sized of course) lithographs framed. They don't need to be museum quality but I want them to look nice and cohesive.

I've done the AC Moore/Michaels in the past and it was ok but a bit expensive (although that was appropriate for what I was framing).

Since I have so many more prints this time, I thought I'd ask the internet

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Oh, I forgot - I am looking for someone local because I can't imagine how annoying the shipping would be each way!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM

126 posts, read 299,814 times
americanframe.com
I use them all the time for frames for my work. You have to measure the litho and go from there.
You assemble them, but you can get anything in metal or wood, including acrylic "glass" and mats.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

533 posts, read 1,132,554 times
TROSA has a frame shop.

TROSA Businesses - Frame Shop (http://www.trosainc.org/businesses/frame/index.htm - broken link)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM

1,318 posts, read 856,359 times
Jerry's Artarama Near Wake Forest and I440.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM

635 posts, read 1,535,099 times
We've had a number of things done over the years by Frame Warehouse in Durham. Don't know if it's the cheapest option (okay, it probably isn't), but all the staff I've worked with there have been wonderful about helping to pick frames, matting, etc that looks really good with the piece. They also are good about working within your budget if you give them one. I picked out a really nice frame/mat for the last piece I brought in, and it was going to come in way above what I wanted to spend. The staff member swapped out the frame/mat to something else that was the same gist and I liked just as much but was much cheaper.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM

794 posts, read 1,242,877 times
I just had something matted and framed at the shop at the State Flea Market. Sorry...can't remember the name, but there are across the parking lot from the main building.

I compared them with Michaels and they were cheaper, but I didn't have the time to compare to a lot of other local shops. The print was 24x24, basic mating, medium size black wood frame and I paid $119. She offered a discount down to $103 (I think) if I paid cash or debit card, but I didn't have either on me.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks everyone! I knew I'd get some good ideas here

Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM

632 posts, read 1,739,267 times
At our last house, I had a lot of prints I wanted matted and framed, but wow--the cost! So, I bought a mat-cutter (and instruction booklet) and did most of them myself. It's easier than you think (for single or double-matted, less than 40" mat size). Doing just 2-3 of them myself paid for the cutter. I collected nice frames whenever Hobby Lobby (or Michaels) had them half-off (and bought various colors of mats when they were on sale, too--esp. the white and creams). I got the glass cut to size at one of those places or elsewhere. I need to drag it out to do some things for our new house.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
jhk

105 posts, read 241,955 times
Any idea how much it would cost to have 3 things framed? Already been matted? Just need the frames and for them to be framed.

Was told to try Kidd's at the fairgrounds. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>