Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
It is much better to be filled with confidence and enthusiasm than to listen to the negative, anecdotal drivel from someone on CD.
"Confidence and enthusiasm" wont' pay the bills when you up and move somewhere without doing proper research, only to find 100 people applying for every job. "Realism" isn't "negativity" when it is saying "be safe, rather than sorry", especially when other "anecdotal" evidence is on CD from people who moved and had to move away because they never found anything.

Why do you post on CD if you are worried about "anecdotal drivel"? CD and other discussion fora by definition is anecdotal. Those wanting nothing but the hard, cold facts will research them on websites for that purpose.

He didn't tell them "don't move", just "be darn sure you will be able to find somehing before moving to a new area of the country where you have no support network". How that is bad advice, I'm uncertain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 PM

756 posts, read 835,953 times
If people do come here without employment it is my hope that they have enough money saved to live on for at least a year. They will need it.. even the part time jobs have so much competition... And, the older you are the harder it is!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Well, you're certainly going to come down here and look, and I agree with others' suggestions to check out some of the other towns - Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville, etc. Cary is HUGE - it's been quite an adjustment in many ways, especially for my DH. They all have their own "flavor". Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Folks, we've had this conversation before. The only mention of jobs made by the OP was this:

Quote:
We're both pretty confident that we can find work in whatever area we do decide to settle in.
Since employment is NOT the primary focus of the OP's post, please don't make it the focus of your responses.

Thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-12-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Home is where the heart is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
We have gone from MA to NH to FL to SC....we don't feel like any of them were great fits for us. We have finally realized there is not perfect place...but we keep searching!
There's really no such thing as a perfect place to live. We all just learn to accept the small faults that any area has and if those faults become too bothersome we move.

Cary, although an excellent city to live in, wouldn't have worked for my wife and me. It's just a little too congested and that's what we were trying to get away from when we relocated from suburban Maryland. Yeah Wake Forest has grown quite a bit since we came down but in many ways it still feels very rural compared to what our old hometown had become.

Back when I worked in Cary many of my co-workers told me they chose homeownership in Morrisville or Apex because they got most of the Cary benefits at a lower cost. Reading through a lot of posts on this forum I’ve seen other people say the same thing which might be something worth considering.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,334 times
I really appreciate the loads of advice I've been getting...thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond.
As for employment, my wife and I both work from home, so our "office" is wherever we decide to be. We may not want to do the same line of work (medical coding) forever, of course, but for now the money is good and the work-from-home aspect is a huge plus...we can move to wherever we want.

My biggest concern is to find a place better than where we are now, which is Cadillac, MI. This isn't really a BAD town to live in....but in my opinion, it's not a town you LIVE in, but a town you stop in for gas while passing through to a place you WOULD live in. And my top priority is raising my daughter in a nice, safe, clean adn friendly place that has some FUTURE to it. Here in Cadillac, the future looks very bleak...unemployment is ridiculous here. The schools are filled with wannabe gang members...the homeless population is way too big for a town this small...

My interest in Cary is mainly from the fact that my wife and I have always wanted to live in North Carolina...I'm originally from Arkansas myself, so I'm eager to get back to my Southern roots...she's never been out of Michigan, so she's willing to try something different...we've been interested in Raleigh and the surrounding areas mainly because they seem like far better places then where we are now....good schools, quiet and safe neighborhoods...Cary is close enough to a big city, without being smack in the middle of it...and it wouldn't take too much of a drive to get to the ocean on weekends now and then.

So I'm definitely considering Cary, and the other surrounding areas too, though so far Cary is high on my list...I"m researching constantly, looking up websites, ordering visitor's guides, etc...just thought it would be nice to hear from someone who might share my ideas of what makes a town as close to "perfect" as it can get...oh, and as for Cary being "Stepford-ish", we don't mind that at all...we're both over the party all night days. *lol* Some peace and quiet would be a welcome change.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 AM

63 posts, read 139,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
We have gone from MA to NH to FL to SC....we don't feel like any of them were great fits for us. We have finally realized there is not perfect place...but we keep searching!
Moving somewhere -- anywhere -- is not going to suddenly make your life better. It's easy to read about the "Top 10 Places to Live" and think "Wow if we lived in fill-in-the-blank we'd be like all these happy people in the article."

Many on this board moved here looking for a better (for them!) lifestyle. But there are just as many people in the places we left behind -- NY, NJ, MI, FL -- who are very happy and think they live in one of the top 10 places even if it's not on a list!!

I think this is a great place to live -- (almost) perfect climate, just about everything in reasonable driving distance (Broadway shows, concert, int'l airport) -- but I also know that where I live isn't as important as how I live.

geez - is that too deep? lol - but I think its true!!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Wherever you go, there you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulx3 View Post
Moving somewhere -- anywhere -- is not going to suddenly make your life better. It's easy to read about the "Top 10 Places to Live" and think "Wow if we lived in fill-in-the-blank we'd be like all these happy people in the article."
I've rarely read a truer statement!

Cary is a very nice place to live and raise children. A little pricey relatively speaking but then again what worthwhile place isn't?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,334 times
Well, all I can say for sure is that ANYWHERE would be better than Cadillac, Michigan. And I do plan on bringing my family down to the area and visit Cary and Raleigh and Apex and the surrounding places...my wife wants to see Myrtle Beach...with my luck, she'll want to move there. *lol*

Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"Confidence and enthusiasm" wont' pay the bills when you up and move somewhere without doing proper research, only to find 100 people applying for every job. "Realism" isn't "negativity" when it is saying "be safe, rather than sorry", especially when other "anecdotal" evidence is on CD from people who moved and had to move away because they never found anything.

Why do you post on CD if you are worried about "anecdotal drivel"? CD and other discussion fora by definition is anecdotal. Those wanting nothing but the hard, cold facts will research them on websites for that purpose.

He didn't tell them "don't move", just "be darn sure you will be able to find somehing before moving to a new area of the country where you have no support network". How that is bad advice, I'm uncertain.
I'd rep this if I could, man.

Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary