Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,097,591 times

Advertisements

Hi, all:

Here's the short version a story: disabled mom of three (1 stepchild, 1 in middle, 1 in elementary) is denied transfer request (same one D. Goldman got) that was based on the criteria outlined in 6203 (child care, curriculum, needs of the family via parent disability, custody situation, etc.). That is followed by a bus stop for the non-transferred kid in an entirely different n'hood that requires walking on the same street a child was killed on 3 years ago, followed by that bus not even showing up the second day of school. Meanwhile, disabled mom can't leave the house to go to an entirely different n'hood to get said child b/c youngest is at home sleeping.

This is the short version of a 2-year long battle with WCPSS. I would like to discuss it with someone in the media who can decide if it's worth airing. At this point I'm beyond frustrated, as private options are even out b/c they're all full this time of year. Anyone know the media well enough to know whom to contact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:22 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,090,679 times
I approached Monica Laliberte once via WRAL. She did a very good job trying to resolve the issue which eventually culminated in an "on air" spot.
While most of what they do is consumer oriented, in my case it was a Wake County government issue.

Frank

Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 AM

477 posts, read 1,420,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Hi, all:

Here's the short version a story: disabled mom of three (1 stepchild, 1 in middle, 1 in elementary) is denied transfer request (same one D. Goldman got) that was based on the criteria outlined in 6203 (child care, curriculum, needs of the family via parent disability, custody situation, etc.). That is followed by a bus stop for the non-transferred kid in an entirely different n'hood that requires walking on the same street a child was killed on 3 years ago, followed by that bus not even showing up the second day of school. Meanwhile, disabled mom can't leave the house to go to an entirely different n'hood to get said child b/c youngest is at home sleeping.

This is the short version of a 2-year long battle with WCPSS. I would like to discuss it with someone in the media who can decide if it's worth airing. At this point I'm beyond frustrated, as private options are even out b/c they're all full this time of year. Anyone know the media well enough to know whom to contact?
So sorry for everything you are going through. I can't believe that your transfer request was denied based on your criteria! (Well, actually, having been through the transfer process unsuccessfully myself, I guess I can believe it.) I would suggest contacting Monica Laliberte. She is a mom, a news producer, and a wonderful person. There is a contact link on this website: Monica Laliberte :: WRAL.com
Good luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,048,637 times
I had an issue years ago that I contacted five on your side for, they were able to resolve it for me (off air), I would contact them, as well as the people at abc 11 (the troubleshooter : ABC11 I-Team Troubleshooter Diane Wilson | abc11.com)

The more you put it out there, the more that will happen. You might also consider contacting the person who does the Wake Ed blog (WakeEd | newsobserver.com blogs)

Good luck!

Leigh

Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM

906 posts, read 2,385,351 times
You could try the new education reporter at WRAL. Micheal Charbonneau mcharbonneau@wral.com

Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Thank you, everyone. Transportation called me back about the friggin bus stop issue and now they'll move the stop back to where it was, but the bus will pick the kids up 30 minutes earlier. Meaning now instead of almost an hour/day on the bus, they get to spend almost 2 hours per day. But Debra Goldman gets a special bus stop for her kid out of the same school to the same damn school I wanted my kid to go to. yay.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM

906 posts, read 2,385,351 times
have you tried contacting Supt Tata directly? His email addy is atata@wcpss.net

Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM

RaleighJayne, thanks. Yes, I have emailed him many times, and even called his assistant. I was blown off (basically told that Tata has no authority over the school board's decisions). I requested a meeting with him again this week. I have also contacted a disability rights advocacy group and an attorney and the media folks recommended here. Thanks so much! Hopefully we'll hear something....soon....

Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,658,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
But Debra Goldman gets a special bus stop for her kid out of the same school to the same damn school I wanted my kid to go to. yay.
Sounds like sour grapes. Just my two cents, if you want to be taken seriously, let the facts speak for themselves and don't come off looking envious of (real or perceived) special treatment of someone else. In the end you're looking for "special treatment" as well. I understand your plight, but it is still special treatment.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Sounds like sour grapes. Just my two cents, if you want to be taken seriously, let the facts speak for themselves and don't come off looking envious of (real or perceived) special treatment of someone else. In the end you're looking for "special treatment" as well. I understand your plight, but it is still special treatment.
Yes, totally true. And I get why you'd think that, but no, no sour grapes here. Yes, I find that fact about Ms. Goldman to stick in my craw, but I have no particular animosity about it toward her. Good for her for getting what she wanted, except that she told me (specifically in a personal conversation) how to get what I wanted and then didn't follow through. I don't think it was malicious--the system is just too disorganized.

In fact, my purpose is not even to GET the transfer (hey, it would be nice, but ...) but to really put it out there that this school district is a dysfunctional behemoth and the new board is NOT helping--in some cases, it's making things worse. Yes, I know that people "know" this but election season is coming and I've learned the political game and don't like it--it's greasy.

And FWIW, I don't think that Wake is "too big b/c it's a county system"--I hear that a lot but I've spent almost my entire life living in other states with countywide school systems (was even educated in one), including ones with more students than Wake, and there aren't problems like the ones here.

And also FWIW, one of Wake's senior administrators (on Tata's "Team") who was put into the loop by the board on the topic of my problem said he was "surprised" my xfer wasn't approved, given the approvals that he'd been sitting in on this spring. So, it's not me pouting in the corner, it's me with the message that when 1000 squeaky wheels get greased, sometimes there's a tire is slowly deflating.

And it may be special treatment, but it's the EXACT SAME TREATMENT that ALL of her peers who live nearby got--EXCEPT for our node of 4 kids. Just sayin. They got special treatment and I want it to! Dammit! (Just kidding).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary