Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,702,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I seriously doubt he did it considering you can spot a bagel from Bruegger's a mile away. The story would be more plausible if he got the bagels from somewhere like NYBD III
Unless you're a connoisseur of bagels, I highly doubt that. Can we all stop being snotty snobersons about damn food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM

149 posts, read 206,340 times
I don't think it's being a connoisseur or snobbish. And I still respectfully disagree. It's not just NY food. I'm sure that many Pennsylvanians don't think that Jersey Mike's Hoagies aren't the same as the ones from their local shops. (Though I REALLY disagree re the milk. Whole and skim taste entirely different. I know because sometimes, when I'm not paying attention, I drink whole instead of skim or 1% ... I usually drink 1% ... and I can certainly tell the difference!)

For me, though, I do admit to protesting when someone proclaims that any specialty from an area where I've tasted the local food is "just like" the food in that area. Part of it is atmosphere. I confess. Food nostalgia, too. But part of it involves restaurants and other food establishments in certain areas who, over the years, know what their locals want and cook it just that way. It could involve adding a certain spice (or not), altering the baking technique a little, adding the sides that they know their locals want. I think if you move to a new area that has a different population from the one in the original neighborhood, you can run the risk of altering the "mix", so to speak; particularly if those in the new area are used to THEIR food establishments preparing the food a certain way. In short, I don't think that "it's all in the head" or if you plop Bruegger's bagels or a pizza reportedly baked "New-York style" (or heck, a cioppino prepared San Francisco style!) in front of someone, they won't tell the difference. It might depend on how ingrained that taste was in their minds.

My daughter jogged this idea when we ate that at that evoked my memories of pizza in my old part of the world. I insisted that it tasted different than the other "New York Style" pizza we prefer. She added, "Yes, it does. They burn it differently." But we both agreed ... they burned it very well!

Yes. It can even be the way your local joint used to burn your food!

I didn't write that Weinberg's was the exact equivalent of a NY deli. I think I wrote that it was about as close as I tasted in this area. And I do wish we had more like places to compare the food. "Close" isn't "the same". And thank you for the correction re Breugger's. Oops. Probably should write stuff AFTER the antihistamine takes effect!

I guess I feel bad about Weinberg's because it was a stab at a somewhat different cuisine ... it was not the one of the usual players when it comes to restaurants. But I still hold out hope that we'll be seeing a NY-style deli again one day soon. One that will REALLY knock many people's socks off!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,115,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
I don't think it's being a connoisseur or snobbish. And I still respectfully disagree. It's not just NY food. I'm sure that many Pennsylvanians don't think that Jersey Mike's Hoagies aren't the same as the ones from their local shops. (Though I REALLY disagree re the milk. Whole and skim taste entirely different. I know because sometimes, when I'm not paying attention, I drink whole instead of skim or 1% ... I usually drink 1% ... and I can certainly tell the difference!)

For me, though, I do admit to protesting when someone proclaims that any specialty from an area where I've tasted the local food is "just like" the food in that area. Part of it is atmosphere. I confess. Food nostalgia, too. But part of it involves restaurants and other food establishments in certain areas who, over the years, know what their locals want and cook it just that way. It could involve adding a certain spice (or not), altering the baking technique a little, adding the sides that they know their locals want. I think if you move to a new area that has a different population from the one in the original neighborhood, you can run the risk of altering the "mix", so to speak; particularly if those in the new area are used to THEIR food establishments preparing the food a certain way. In short, I don't think that "it's all in the head" or if you plop Bruegger's bagels or a pizza reportedly baked "New-York style" (or heck, a cioppino prepared San Francisco style!) in front of someone, they won't tell the difference. It might depend on how ingrained that taste was in their minds.

My daughter jogged this idea when we ate that at that evoked my memories of pizza in my old part of the world. I insisted that it tasted different than the other "New York Style" pizza we prefer. She added, "Yes, it does. They burn it differently." But we both agreed ... they burned it very well!

Yes. It can even be the way your local joint used to burn your food!

I didn't write that Weinberg's was the exact equivalent of a NY deli. I think I wrote that it was about as close as I tasted in this area. And I do wish we had more like places to compare the food. "Close" isn't "the same". And thank you for the correction re Breugger's. Oops. Probably should write stuff AFTER the antihistamine takes effect!

I guess I feel bad about Weinberg's because it was a stab at a somewhat different cuisine ... it was not the one of the usual players when it comes to restaurants. But I still hold out hope that we'll be seeing a NY-style deli again one day soon. One that will REALLY knock many people's socks off!
That would be great.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,177,371 times
We HAD Horiwitz Deli and although it was here for years, it eventually opened a 2nd location in Cary and then closed the first location. I don't know when they closed the Cary location. So, THAT was a failure. Then, we got Weinberg's and now they are gone. So...either there aren't enough of us that liked it or the NY Deli isn't warranted in our area.

Vicki

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,133,956 times
I think it was a combo of bad price point and so so location. The same restaurant at a lower price point in RTP I bet would have done just fine.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,761,175 times
That is a tough location .... so many food places and some pretty darn good ones at that. Saint Jacques French Cuisine; Cape Tiramisu; NR Pub; Chipotle; Tribeca; Winston's, and even PDQ (fantastic grilled chicken salad). These are all within walking distance and there are probably more I left out. As far as Weinberg's I ate there a few times and each time it was a little less special. Still sorry to see them go. The restaurant business must be so tough.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,133,956 times
I think it was a combo of bad price point and so so location. The same restaurant at a lower price point in RTP I bet would have done just fine.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 PM

149 posts, read 206,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We HAD Horiwitz Deli and although it was here for years, it eventually opened a 2nd location in Cary and then closed the first location. I don't know when they closed the Cary location. So, THAT was a failure. Then, we got Weinberg's and now they are gone. So...either there aren't enough of us that liked it or the NY Deli isn't warranted in our area.

Vicki
Don't know if this is true or not, but I thought I read somewhere that Horiwitz had a bit of an identity crisis when it came to NC. It faced the situation of either altering its dishes to suit local tastes or keeping it more .... for lack of a better term .... "traditional". And when it altered its dishes, many regulars simply didn't like it at all.

Sad, really. I guess many restaurants specializing in certain types of US regional cuisine face this problem when they open. Mustn't be easy keeping that balance.

And I meant to write "when we ate at that place". My fingers do not seem to be cooperating with my brain. Can't blame the lack of antihistamine this time.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,556,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
One of the worst slices of pizza I've had in my life was at a place called Slice of New York Pizza, in the Brier Creek neighborhood of Raleigh.
Which is ironic when you consider that the family that owns all of their Raleigh-area stores operated multiple locations in and around New York City as well. I happen to like "Slice of New York" because they have a tremendous variety of counter pies from which you can order single slices, something sorely lacking in our area. And while I wouldn't argue they make a great slice of pizza it's no where near the worst slice either; you must have been there on a bad day.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 08-29-2013 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: typo correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary