Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

My best friend who is a young woman has experienced a major traumatic experience in her life 8 months ago and I have been trying to help her the best I can. Because of what happened in her life she has become very angry and although I love her very much, I am unable to help her resolve these issues. She frequently lashes out at me verbally but I deal with it the best that I can. I am not financially well off and she has no health care but I can't watch her self destruct in front of me. If anyone knows of any free clinics or therapist that she could talk to, I would appreciate any possible help. She is so beautiful I hate to see her continue on this destructive path. Thank you to anyone that can help or tell me where to turn for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 AM

169 posts, read 574,725 times
I'm sorry that your friend is going through this and that she's treating you this way. I don't know of any free therapists or clinics in the area, but she's lucky to have such a caring friend. If she's involved in a church or other place of worship, she may be able to talk to someone there about this.

You may want to look into getting her the book "The Dance of Anger" by Harriet Lerner. It might be at a library if you can't afford to buy it. It's helpful for learning about anger and what to do with it.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM

169 posts, read 574,725 times
Another thought ... if her traumatic experience was a rape or sexual assault, Interact of Wake County and the Orange County Rape Crisis Center both provide free services.

InterAct of Wake County, North Carolina : Services

Orange County (NC) Rape Crisis Center (http://www.ocrcc.org/services.html - broken link)

Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Here is a list of some resources for Wake County from searching "Wake County mental health." If you're not in Wake, try searching the other counties.

It is kind and caring of you to offer support. Please remember that you can offer support and advice, and that she will need to reach the point where she is willing to receive help. All the best to both of you.

WakeGOV.com - Mental Health
(The Wake County Mental Health Services, the first one on the list, will see people on a walk-in basis, at least for 'crisis' situations. I don't know their criteria, but I know someone who was below their income level threshold who received assessment there, and was then referred to a therapist/counselor who provided services on a sliding scale. It's worth a call to ask.)

Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
If your friend has gone through extreme trauma, she may need to work with someone who specializes in PTSD ... it's not the same as anger management treatment:

Raleigh Trauma and PTSD Therapist - Trauma and PTSD Therapist Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina (NC) - Trauma and PTSD Counseling Raleigh

Old 07-15-2011, 02:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Not sure if this will help or not but one of the Agents at my company gave out some information the other day about this non profit medical care facility for the non insured.

It is called NCIAP Medical Care. It is located on Creedmoor Road and the phone number is 919-277-0345.

I don't know anything about it, other than what he said. Hope they can help.

Vicki

Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 PM

286 posts, read 685,394 times
The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill has a decent amount of resources for PTSD. They have support group meetings in various cities, I bet there is one close to you. Good luck. You can google NAMI and PTSD together and find several web pages.

~Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary