Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If the #1 scourge of the south is HOA's,
They are very easy to avoid. Just don't buy in a neighorhood that has them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
you said you were in a townhouse neighborhood. If the streets are private, then they may not need Cary approval to install them, but I would still start there. Also, try calling the Cary Fire Dept. Usually most FD are against them because they can do damage to the trucks, whcih when full of water, a speed bump is no small matter.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
It started out about the unsightliness of them but now has turned into the sneaky way the HOA went about putting them in. Im working on it, I'll let you know what happens
I'd be interested in seeing how they were approved so quickly. We had the town due a traffic study in another part of Amberly and all they did was lower the speed limit from 35 to 25 MPH. I would welcome speed bumps as the reduced speed limit hasn't done much to slow vehicles down.

Waverly Hills drive in Cary Park just had speed humps (the gentle paved mounds) installed within the last 12 months. I would love to have those in my part of Amberly.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
MOST of the time you won't really have to worry about the 2nd one. The "Master HOA" as they are really just responsible for the upkeep of Amberly as a whole (i.e. that lovely residence center, all the entrance monuments, all the landscaping around the signs, and cutting the grass through the neighborhood). The "townhome HOA" is the one that will enforce the covenants for your particular section. They are also the ones responsible for the maintainence of your yards, entrance monuments, etc.

Most of the time both HOA's are managed by the same companies but I do believe that in your particular neighborhood, the townhome is managed by a differeny company than the master hoa.

Either way you should be able to get some information from the person at the clubhouse.

Good Luck!
BiggJoe hit the nail on the head here. The HOA you need to deal with is the local one as opposed to the master association. For Architectural review items in our part of Amberly, I believe the Amberly master HOA has only turned down 1 or 2 of the applications approved by the community HOA.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 14,240 times
The speedbumps are not only unsightly but they also jostle the car (and everyone in it) a LOT. We are now modifying our route and coming up the other side of Longchamp as a result to avoid the bumps - we'd hit 3 bumps on our old (and more direct route), and the other way we now hit only 1 bump.

If they were the gentle mound type I wouldn't care - they'd look better and they'd be easier to drive over. These are terrible. Hopefully they will get ripped out!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 14,240 times
For those interested to see what we're talking about here, these are the type (but maybe not the EXACT model or manufacturer) of speed bumps they have installed:

http://www.irdinc.com/products/images/Speedbump_Lg1.jpg

Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak23 View Post
For those interested to see what we're talking about here, these are the type (but maybe not the EXACT model or manufacturer) of speed bumps they have installed:

http://www.irdinc.com/products/images/Speedbump_Lg1.jpg
See as an Appalachian State grad I would have no problem looking at those beautiful black and yellow colors

I digress. Regarding the HOA, my biggest questions wouldn't be how they were approved and installed so quickly but who paid for them. If they came out of the HOA dues/budget I would expect that the HOA management company would HAVE to inform you as a homeowner.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
If they came out of the HOA dues/budget I would expect that the HOA management company would HAVE to inform you as a homeowner.
I don't think the HOA/Board is required to inform homeowners of every expenditure, especially if spending is within the parameters established in the budget approved for the year at an annual homeonwers meeting.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,057 times
Default Speedbumps Update

I have been in touch with the Town of Cary, here is what I was told.

"Since you live in a townhome area it is likely that the street is private and is therfore under the property manager's ownerships. What we require is that the owner must adhere to our (Town) standards for any devices that are install within the roadway. If the speed humps were not installed based on our residential standards then I will alert our zoning and compliance officer to have them removed and constructed per our standard."
They also said they would try to come by today and check them out.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,057 times
Quote:
See as an Appalachian State grad I would have no problem looking at those beautiful black and yellow colors

I digress. Regarding the HOA, my biggest questions wouldn't be how they were approved and installed so quickly but who paid for them. If they came out of the HOA dues/budget I would expect that the HOA management company would HAVE to inform you as a homeowner.
They said they posted a notice on the website and sent emails out to the residents registered on the website. Funny, a few people on here have said they are registered and didn't receive an email. The notice they posted was done the day before these were installed and 3 days after they were approved by the board. It's just sneaky to me, kind of like they had a feeling people wouldn't approve of it but did it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary