Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,785,087 times

Advertisements

Looking for some recommendations... we've been doing the church circuit but haven't found the right one...thought we'd ask around.

My husband is Presby and I'm Mormon, so we're looking for something non-denominational that would suit us both. Hopefully within 15-20 min of 70/Miami.

I feel more at home at something like a mega church, where they have a positive accessible message without a lot of hymns, crucifixes, fire and brimstone. I'll admit, I'm looking for church-lite. I think the message is more important than the process, so I don't need it to be in an actual church.

We tried Summit and thought it was a bit too much of a production (my husband called it "rock star church"). We tried the typical churches and you got a mix between "women should stay at home with the kids" and "boys should be manly men!" and that's a bit of a turn-off.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM

521 posts, read 1,596,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
My husband is Presby and I'm Mormon, so we're looking for something non-denominational that would suit us both.
I'm sure i don't need to tell you this, but there is a pretty huge gulf between Mormon teaching/beliefs and Presbyterian teaching/beliefs. Non-denominational churches are almost exclusively Protestant and do not align with Mormon doctrine. Is that okay with you, in terms of church suggestions? I ask because it may help you to get better answers in this thread.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM

LOL yes, I'm well aware, and I'm 100% OK with non-denominational/Protestant There's no way in hell I'm getting my husband into a Mormon church, so I'm accommodating him in that regard

Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,850,689 times
You might want to try Providence on glenwood Ave...it's mega. They are a tight bunch of folks but very open to new members. I've been there a couple of times with a friend who is a member. While it's not my cup of tea, it might be what you are looking for. I think they sang for the first 10 mins or so???

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,061,047 times
This is a tough one ... its always hard to match a person to a church. So I'll leave the "fit" to your better judgement. My left brained analysis would offer:

Southbridge in the movie theater in Briar Creek.

They don't meet in a "church" building, essentially non-denominational Protestant and close to the NC70/Miami intersection.

Southbridge Fellowship

Frank

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks Raleigh/Frank..... Southbridge was actually next on my list to try, and I'll add Providence too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary