Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for good quality fish, Aquatic Creations Group, Inc is on Hargrove Rd, right off Capital Blvd and Spring Forest Rd. They are an aquarium maintenance company but will special order saltwater or freshwater fish. Their Discus are amazing-They also culture the moon jelly species of jellyfish and will sell to the public. Great store, great customer service and very knowledgeable. There is usually staff there on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays but it is best to call first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,555 times
Fish Pros used to be the best place to go for all aquarium needs. They were on Hillsborough Street almost across from the NC State Fairgrounds. Then they moved to a bigger space and after that store closed I could never find them.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM

33 posts, read 83,559 times
Reef Farm is a must visit!

Home - The Reef Farm

Old 06-22-2014, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times
Okay, there seems to be a lot of interesting posts that seem to have different reasons for being here. I really don't get into this, but let me throw my two cents in.

There are a number of fish stores in the area. I've visited the Fish Room, Down Under and, Reef Keepers. Each has their strength's and weaknesses. I've had tanks now for over 35 years, and have lived in this area for about 4 years.

Down Under is not the prettiest store out there. It is rough, and could use a good overhaul for aesthetics, but the people there know what the heck they are talking about, their stock fish and coral have never died in my tank, and they will not let you do anything stupid. They try to get to know you and your tank, if you want them too, and they try to guide you. As far as water, it is good quality, is always the same, and for 4 years, I've never had a problem with water quality. I use an automatic dosing system for micromanagement of trace elements and reef balance. I have bought a lot of my equipment here b/c I do not consider myself an expert, and they will walk me though everything. They are more expensive than on-line, but this is the norm for on-line vs retail. But like I said, nothing dies when I get it home, other than from old age. I can special order whatever I want here, and they will stabilize it before I take it home. This is my go to place for most new things, and trying to expand my tank and knowledge base.

Fish Room looks cool. They have a lot of really nice tanks, with cool lighting, and lots of equipment. From them, I've had about a 20% loss rate. This is actually not bad for a saltwater store. Here, they already expect you to be an expert. They will give you whatever you want without any questions. There are items for sale here that I personally would never put in my tank, but other people might. They are very helpful, answering any questions you may have - but they are not educators like Down Under. If you are going to make a mistake and crash your tank, you are going to do that here. Water quality here is fine also. But for me, they are on the far side of town. I don't mind buying the coral frags here when I want to try something new, and I know what I am doing.

Reef Keepers is in Clayton. When I went to that store, I honestly was made to feel an idiot for asking questions. I am not sure of his quality, as I have never bought anything from him. The store is nice, and he has some good stock - but I've only been there once because of the bad taste in my mouth. I am sure this is not everyone's perception from reading the forums, but just my own.

Most importantly, you need to develop relationships with whomever you are going to buy from. These are experts and hobbyists, so you need to be comfortable with what you like. I personally do not buy garage slingers. I have no problem pay a little more for quality and having access to a store. Other people might, and I know some who only go to garage slingers. Some have more problems than I, but some don't - though the number whom don't seem smaller.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 13,981 times
I've had good luck with fish room in cary. The guy we talked with last took a lot of time to my son setup an african cichlid tank that is doing rather well at them moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary