Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
I tried the crystallized crab grass preventer earlier in the year and that did not do a thing to prevent anything and it is just too much to weed out by hand.
You must put down a crabgrass preventer in mid-February to have any success in battling the crabgrass. If you don't get to it before it germinates, it's very tough to control during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
I forgot to mention, I don't think you should be treating crabgrass right now. Our schedule for herbicides aka weed control says to apply in fall and early spring. You run the risk of killing all of your grass due to the stress from the heat right now. Even if you don't use supersods products, their application calendar is very nice to have.

We left TruGreen and apply all the chemicals. We haven't noticed any difference. The one area I wouldn't do myself is aerated and reseeding in the fall.
Right. Stressed fescue will be even further stressed and the crabgrass won't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You must put down a crabgrass preventer in mid-February to have any success in battling the crabgrass. If you don't get to it before it germinates, it's very tough to control during the summer.
And Right.

With fescue, now is the time to hunker down, suffer through, and plan for fall maintenance, overseeding, or replacement.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
The following is not a joke:

My front lawn is a small section enclosed within a circular driveway...and since installing the pool and forgetting to reconnect the irrigation system, my fescue has not been doing well (if you consider being dead the same thing as not doing so well). It's also being taken over by Bermuda (I think - it's got shooters that reach out several inches from any known area and plant roots and keep going). I felt my neighbors (and hopefully not soon the HOA) were probably tired of looking at it so I researched and bought some "Always Green Lawn Paint" from Amazon.

Yes, I painted my grass!

My neighbors love it, and it looks as good or better than the others in the area and is very drought resistant (if drought resistant means the same thing as dead but painted). I hope it holds up through the rain and at least until fall when I can figure out what weed took over and seed it with that same weed for next year.

Good luck with your fescue. I hate grass.
Mind posting some pictures of this?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Mind posting some pictures of this?
Not at all. I meant to do half and take a single photo showing before and after, but it was hot out and I just wanted to get it done, so I did the whole thing, in the dark, with a flashlight mounted on my head and woke up to a "luscious" green(ish) beautiful (if by beautiful you mean half dead but still about on par with all the irrigated lawns around me) lawn. Just don't walk on it - it's pretty crunchy.

I'll get a pic later on.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:

My front lawn is a small section enclosed within a circular driveway...and since installing the pool and forgetting to reconnect the irrigation system, my fescue has not been doing well (if you consider being dead the same thing as not doing so well). It's also being taken over by Bermuda (I think - it's got shooters that reach out several inches from any known area and plant roots and keep going). I felt my neighbors (and hopefully not soon the HOA) were probably tired of looking at it so I researched and bought some "Always Green Lawn Paint" from Amazon.

Yes, I painted my grass!

My neighbors love it, and it looks as good or better than the others in the area and is very drought resistant (if drought resistant means the same thing as dead but painted). I hope it holds up through the rain and at least until fall when I can figure out what weed took over and seed it with that same weed for next year.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.
I just had Zoysia installed, and just may be a wintertime turfgrass painter...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM

So as not to threadjack, I'll post in a separate thread.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,016 times
Quote:

Yes, I painted my grass!

This is funny as hell . Just the other day I was telling my wife in frustration that I should just spray paint the darn grass and be done with it and here you are saying that you actually did it - LOL.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
This is funny as hell . Just the other day I was telling my wife in frustration that I should just spray paint the darn grass and be done with it and here you are saying that you actually did it - LOL.
Not quite spray paint - as that would really kill it off completely - but a specialized paint designed for lawns. Here's my new thread, complete with photos:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...rking-hoa.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary