Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 PM

13 posts, read 76,362 times

Advertisements

This is one of the strongest stations in my area Cary and plays Oldies. I was scanned the AM radio band and NOTHING? May be maintenance or worse (another AM station shut down). Any one know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Must have been maintenance....Imus is on right now. I listen to Kix myself. It's been around a long, long time.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Must have been maintenance....Imus is on right now. I listen to Kix myself. It's been around a long, long time.
Yep it's back on..... I don't listen too much or regularly, but they still play oldies during most of the afternoon and evening right? Thanks

PS that is an old station going way back to the 1947 I recall... (there is a wiki page on it). They were off the air a few years in the late 1950's.... and has gone through many format changes..... I like the new format. I remember when they were a Fox affiliate and pretty much was all talk. I like having at least one oldies AM station... I restore old Tube Radios.... at least there is some music to play that is not Spanish or the normal AM fare, talk, sports and religion.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
Yep it's back on..... I don't listen too much or regularly, but they still play oldies during most of the afternoon and evening right? Thanks
They seem to off the air tonight. I'll have to follow up with that since I haven't been listening lately as regular as I used to since they brought the new format in.

WKIX was especially popular here in the late 50's through 70's playing the Top 40's.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
WKIX was especially popular here in the late 50's through 70's playing the Top 40.
Remember when they would call random pay phones in the area and if you answered with "I keep it on KIX!", you would win a prize?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Remember when they would call random pay phones in the area and if you answered with "I keep it on KIX!", you would win a prize?
Oh yeah

Remember when you could request a song by someone for another person...a sweetie or boyfriend. It would be announced over the air. That was a huge deal

Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Remember when you could request a song by someone for another person...a sweetie or boyfriend. It would be announced over the air. That was a huge deal
I still remember the request number: 851-3277. I'll never forget the first time (age 12) I requested a song, and heard it played a few minutes later--I felt so powerful

Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I still remember the request number: 851-3277. I'll never forget the first time (age 12) I requested a song, and heard it played a few minutes later--I felt so powerful
You're very good Francois! I never would have remembered that telephone number.

It was a lot of fun growing up with KIX. It brings back a lot of memories.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
They seem to off the air tonight. I'll have to follow up with that since I haven't been listening lately as regular as I used to since they brought the new format in.

WKIX was especially popular here in the late 50's through 70's playing the Top 40's.
Yep they are back on as of 9:30 PM local RDU time.... they must be doing maintenance. With the state of AM radio business, I was thinking they were off the air permanently. AM stations go silent regularly. They are expensive to run and the land they sit on large chunks of land. The antenna ground system, on MW BCB (medium wave broadcast band) is quite large. Also because of day and night pattern they have multi towers to phase the signal. The land is worth a lot more now verses 1947. What was way out in the sticks is the middle of high rent property today.....

Long story short ... I was worried they were gone. However it seems they are still in business. I don't think they have DJ's, it's all automated...... as stations try and save money.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
Yep they are back on as of 9:30 PM local RDU time.... they must be doing maintenance.
Yep....went back a few minutes ago and they're back up again. I hope they stay afloat as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary