Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer45 View Post
As a long time inhabitant of the area, you will find it vastly different than those glowing articles. Barney and Aunt Bea are dead, Andy's a disgruntled old man living at the coast, Opie went west coast liberal on us. Mayberry was a hoax.
Now THAT was funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Reality check #7: My company is laying off a big chunk of our IT group this Thursday. Outsourcing most of it to India, and just eliminating some functions completely.

I hate to rain on your parade, but scoping out housing to the level of detail you seem to be doing is WAY premature for you. You really have no idea where you'll wind up. Find a job -- any job, in this economy -- and then research THAT place and make it work for you. You're wasting energy now on a place that probably won't pan out for you.

Good luck with the pregnancy. Hope you guys have a healthy little baby and will be happy wherever you wind up.

ETA: And now for the nyah, nyah, nyah part of the post ... to all those people who flog us when we cringe when the Triangle lands on a "top" list and who tell us, "Nobody really moves here just because of some magazine article or stupid list ... EXHIBIT A.
fine, i'll put my foot in my mouth for that one lol

if the economy wasn't so down, you wouldn't be getting such negativity. Unfortunately, it's hitting us just the same as other cities.

my suggestions, wait a few years.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
fine, i'll put my foot in my mouth for that one lol

if the economy wasn't so down, you wouldn't be getting such negativity. Unfortunately, it's hitting us just the same as other cities.

my suggestions, wait a few years.
Unfortunately, when someone is looking for a job, they can't "wait a few years". They just need to adjust the geography of where they look. Good luck to OP, wherever you end up (even here).

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM

342 posts, read 751,800 times
Unfortunately, your scenario is one that can't be rushed, and probably will take a bit of research, planning, and luck, as this is what we experienced having recently accomplished a similar goal.

We recently relocated from NJ, and our plan was about 2 years in the making.

We knew what type of area/neighborhood we were looking for, and after a few trips down, had figured out the "where". This was the research part. We're very happy in Wake Forest.

We sold our house, rented in NJ, job searched and house hunted at the same time. We figured on when my wife would move, when I would move, rent or buy...etc. This was the planning part.

I would not move without having a job first, but time was ticking since my NJ job was ending in a few months. If my job did end before I found one in NC, we would have moved down, and I would have worked short term contract jobs, which seemed readily available until I could find a suitable permanent position. I did wind up finding a perm. position. This was the luck piece.

I did notice being an out of state candidate, I had little trouble getting callbacks or interviews. Possibly my expertise, experience, or being in the right place at the right time?

This is a major undertaking and going through all these steps, as well as having a plan B and plan C will help you get through it and help achieve your goal.

Good luck to your family, hope it works out well for you as it did for us.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,440 times
[quote=knagy389us;20270424]I did notice being an out of state candidate, I had little trouble getting callbacks or interviews. Possibly my expertise, experience, or being in the right place at the right time?

That is part of the problem for most out of state people looking. Most companies prefer a local resident. We were very fortunate to move before the housing bubble burst in NJ and move with money in the bank. Once we had the apartment, updated resume with NC address we got calls from recruiters etc. It's not impossible but sadly much harder when you don't live here. I think companies don't want to deal with someone who will look for moving expenses etc, easier to get a quick interview...not wait for them to fly down. I know someone here who wanted to move to Boston. She applied, got the interviews over the phone and got an offer. So it can happen just got to keep at it. If your husband has a highly sought after skillset it will help but now with Cisco laying off a lot of highly skilled network engineers...just makes the search harder. Web and QA software testing I see things out there for and the pay ( to me ) seems decent. But for helpdesk and desktop support...stinks but right before I left NJ the salaries started to decline in that area ( support ) as well.

Last edited by mishellina; 08-01-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM

44 posts, read 60,722 times
WOW ok haha I think I see a pattern! I'll be sure to relay all this to my fiance. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 52,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
moving here without a job in hand is really not a very smart thing to do.

unless you have close to 2 years worth of living expenses stashed.
I will agree with this. I moved here to Fuquay from NJ about a year ago and am still collectiong unemployment from NJ. Blah........I thought the Triangle is rated one of the best Job markets in the US?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
I thought the Triangle is rated one of the best Job markets in the US?
Obviously you drank the Kool Aid too. .. . .

Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM

25 posts, read 75,315 times
RTP (raleigh) is booming with IT/ computer/ technology jobs....

Im a web designer working in rtp and actually my bf kept complaining that all there was was IT jobs around here when he got laid off... hes not in that field at all... but luckily he was able to find a job quickly.

As for house prices... you don't have to spend anywhere near 200k for a 3 bedroom house. I also moved here from NJ. i'm looking for 3 bedroom 2 bath houses for less then 150k and theres plenty out there.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate05 View Post
RTP (raleigh) is booming with IT/ computer/ technology jobs....
You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Im a web designer working in rtp and actually my bf kept complaining that all there was was IT jobs around here when he got laid off... hes not in that field at all... but luckily he was able to find a job quickly.
Aside: I hope someone else does the content.

So if your bf found a job quickly but it's not in the IT / computer / technology field, what does that have to do with this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary