U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Southwest Wake County
233 posts, read 253,754 times
Reputation: 206

Advertisements

As a weekly cross country traveler and food lover, I have toyed with the idea of starting a particular type of restaurant. Financing it more than running it day to day. I know that's the hardest business to break into, but this one seems like a home run. I know. They all say that. How do you think this would do here.

Cross Country Barbeque. It would be a place you could go that would have North Carolina, South Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis, St Louis and Texas style barbeque. Different meats cooked in different smokers. You can sit down for one style or order the combination platter.

I'm thinking an area such as this might be a perfect fit for this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 PM
 
1,239 posts, read 2,087,835 times
Reputation: 1363
Sounds like you would be competing with Red, Hot and Blue in many ways. Very difficult to offer all the choices you mention and all be good. A nightmare for the chef. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 PM
 
379 posts, read 540,774 times
Reputation: 244
I imagine it would be next to impossible to have enough pig on hand for each set of 'cue and sell enough to cover the expenses. Especially if you wanted to do it right. I like the idea, but wonder if it's financially doable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
4,905 posts, read 5,675,200 times
Reputation: 7816
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I imagine it would be next to impossible to have enough pig on hand for each set of 'cue and sell enough to cover the expenses. Especially if you wanted to do it right. I like the idea, but wonder if it's financially doable.
Especially considering there are two styles of NC BBQ. You can't just say you have "NC BBQ".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 AM
 
21 posts, read 53,729 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
As a weekly cross country traveler and food lover, I have toyed with the idea of starting a particular type of restaurant. Financing it more than running it day to day. I know that's the hardest business to break into, but this one seems like a home run. I know. They all say that. How do you think this would do here.

Cross Country Barbeque. It would be a place you could go that would have North Carolina, South Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis, St Louis and Texas style barbeque. Different meats cooked in different smokers. You can sit down for one style or order the combination platter.

I'm thinking an area such as this might be a perfect fit for this.

I like your idea. Work out the kinks and count on me as regular diner!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Southwest Wake County
233 posts, read 253,754 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I imagine it would be next to impossible to have enough pig on hand for each set of 'cue and sell enough to cover the expenses. Especially if you wanted to do it right. I like the idea, but wonder if it's financially doable.
It wouldn't be just pig. It would be all the meats. That's why it would be cross country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,475 posts, read 30,677,518 times
Reputation: 9436
Sounds yummy to me!

Vicki
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Southwest Wake County
233 posts, read 253,754 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Especially considering there are two styles of NC BBQ. You can't just say you have "NC BBQ".
Yes but most of that is in the seasoning/sauce, which can still be done separately. It's still only pork, whereas other regional BBQ includes other meat including beef, sausage (various meats), chicken and even turkey. Plus there are multiple ways to do pork, not just chopped with vinegar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,357 posts, read 3,835,405 times
Reputation: 960
It sounds like somewhere I'd love to eat, but I also doubt that each kind of bbq could really be GREAT. If it's not, everyone would just stick to whatever place they go to for their preferred bbq where it's made exactly the way they want it. You'd have to perfect each kind, and that seems like a tall order!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Southwest Wake County
233 posts, read 253,754 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
It sounds like somewhere I'd love to eat, but I also doubt that each kind of bbq could really be GREAT. If it's not, everyone would just stick to whatever place they go to for their preferred bbq where it's made exactly the way they want it. You'd have to perfect each kind, and that seems like a tall order!
That will be the challenge. There is a place in North Hills that does more than just eastern NC, but they do it poorly. People may not realize it's poor if they have not tasted the original. I would need to get people who have cooked in different parts of the country to make sure it is done right. I travel all over the US every week and I can tell you there is a huge different in taste between barbeque in one place compared to another, even if it's the same meat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top