Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

North Carolina Department of Justice
Sex Offender and Public Protection Registry

http://ncregistry.ncsbi.gov (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 03:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I think one should also consider that different states have varying definitions of a "sexual offender".
True story: Here in NC, a young local married couple who went camping in a relatively remote area got a little "romantic" in their tent. (They truly believed no body was anywhere around....nothing but trees surrounding them.) A sheriff's deputy found them and arrested them for having sex in "public". Guess what? They're now on the sexual offender list!
Does that mean they're gonna "prey" on local kids? Almost certainly not! But now they're on that list and forever gonna have to deal with that anytime they need to move or whatever.

Point is....depending on where you look at the list, see if it actually tells you WHY a person is on it.
I guess I would need more definition in NC/SC cause here in CA you don't have to register for that. Maybe there was more to it. She or he was under aged or something. Do you have the article?

Old 09-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Umm....since I'm a Realtor, I can tell you this...how the hell would I know if a sex offender was in the freakin neighborhood??? Do you think I know each and every house and each and every seller? Come on people. Get real. My job is to help the buyer in every way I can but I can't read people's mind and I cannot believe that you think that its a Realtor's job. I'm probably one of the best as far as trying to help my buyers and finding them the house they want but I am just another pair of eyes and ears and I'm not psychic! Althought right now...I'm feeling kinda psychotic!!! Vicki
Where I live the Realtor has the buyer sign a paper saying there were giving a local address to police and a web site to look them up. Its called "Buyer beware". Right Vicki

Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJshery View Post
I have been around here just reading & taking it all in for a while now. This topic has become really disturbing to me. This is a fairly large number of offenders concentrated in one area. What is going on here? Did anyone notice that they are moving to the area from other regions? A home that we were very interested in in Apex has a sex offeneder a few houses down the street! I am seriously reconsidering our relocation. I am trying to make a better life for my kids, not put them in ther middle of a sex offender field day.
Agree. Before we moved in we found out there was a female sex offender 5 houses down. We still moved in. If it was a male, I wouldn't have. She has never come over, nor do my kids go down that way alone. In one year there has been no issues. Again, right or wrong if it was a male it wouldn't have happen (moving in).

People need to think when they are around kids. DON'T put yourself into a situation that might look bad to a parent. We have neighborhood kids over all the time. Boys and girls. Being self employed I am home a lot while wife is at work. The neighbors know how I am about the subject and the letters I have writen to change the laws and leave their kids over. BUT! I never let kids in my room, I am NEVER in a room without my kids there with another child. There are just rules to avoid proplems. So, if they are convicted, then they need to stay way. Otherwise they should have lawyered up and faught it if they though it wasn't fair. Simple.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-08-2006 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
Can you tell from the registry what type of crime it was? if against a female or against a child?

Maybe you answered your own question -> why would there be so many child sex offenders in such a family friendly area? Usually predators will go where there are most "prey"? Or to a place where there is a very high sense of security. There seemed to be many areas in the communities I drove through in Raleigh area where there are parks and community centers etc where it would be relatively easy to see large congregrations of kids.
In our area we notice they are by schools and parks. Wonder why? Serious sex offender have to stay 500 feet from these locations. To me not far enough. The less serious offenders (first time caught) get to live less than 500 feet if they choose. The map looks like wolfs around prey. Sad thing. Again, if you don't like (nor do I) write letters to change it. I actually have.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
North Carolina Department of Justice
Sex Offender and Public Protection Registry

http://ncregistry.ncsbi.gov (broken link)
Here is South Carolina's.
http://services.sled.sc.gov/SOR/search.aspx?Type=City
Fort Mill - 46
Tega Cay - 1
Rock Hill - 140
Clover - 46
*Approx. Counted quick.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-08-2006 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 20,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
In our area we notice they are by schools and parks. Wonder why? Serious sex offender have to stay 500 feet from these locations. To me not far enough. The less serious offenders (first time caught) get to live less than 500 feet if they choose. The map looks like wolfs around prey. Sad thing. Again, if you don't like (nor do I) write letters to change it. I actually have.
Thank you for adding your comments. I thought I noticed a trend. I didn't even realize that they were around the schools & parks. That really is sad. I think we'll stay put here in NJ.......

Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
In my neighborhood here if a sex offender does move within a certain distance of a school, the school has to send letters notifying parents

Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 58,965 times
What an interesting topic and responses. I have two small children and Sexual predetors don't bother me a bit! WHY......because I don't trust anyone with my kids. I always know where and who my kids are with and they usually are never further than an arms reach away. We need to teach our children proper way on handling themselves. Most sex offenses happen to girls in the 13-15 range. So many times we let our kids walk out the door wearing luring clothing with provocotive statements on them. Lets be real! People need to be more aggressive when protecting their investments (kids). There is no such thing as a safe neighborhood. Check this out! How many people do you think are in your neighborhood who haven't been caught yet!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
I wouldn't buy a home anywhere near a sexual offender for 2 reasons: one, I wouldn't want him seeing my children regularly. I understand they can travel, but they probably enjoy seeing the children on their street on a regular basis.

Two, how would you ever resell that house? There are enough people who would never buy a home near a registered sex offender, that I imagine resale could be a problem.

Yes, someone could move in next door. There is nothing I can do about that, but I would never knowingly put myself in that position.

Generally speaking, these guys live in less expensive neighborhoods, and often apartment buildings, which is why I wouldn't want to live near apt. buildings. At least, that's what I found when I ran our zip code as well as the neighboring zip codes.

As for HOAs, no, of course they can't do anything. Tehy are just homeowners. They aren't allowed to tell someone they can't live in the neighborhood if they are legally allowed to buy a home, or rent a home. Can you imagine? You'd have HOAs saying "sorry, no one with drunk driving convictions can live here" or whatever. HOAs have to abide by the law, and the law says that these guys have done their dues and can live where they want (w/the exception of school, park proximity in some cases).

BTW, I read an article on CNN recently which was pretty scary concerning the law that sex offenders can't live near schools and parks. These guys were in Chicago and there basically isn't anywhere affordable which isn't near a school or park, so the parole officers were dropping them off under a bridge when they completed their time, and using that as their "address." Ok, you might say good--they should live under a bridge after what they've done, but homeless sex offenders living under a bridge are not likely to be upstanding citizens. It's a mess. I sure don't want them near my kids' schools, but they have to go somewhere that's not under a bridge!! Personally, I don't think they should EVER be let out of jail. EVER. Seems like way too many of them repeat offenses and someone smoking a joint seems to spend more time in prison than a sexual offender. Makes no sense to me.

Wow, that got long. I wonder if anyone read the whole thing? I probably wouldn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary