Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 PM

53 posts, read 95,618 times

Advertisements

First of all, how is it pronounced? Like "Windul" (rhymes with spindle) or "When-dell". And also, I just saw another thread where someone was getting a job there but didn't want to live there. I didn't want to thread-jack so I figure I'd ask here.

Is Wendell not a good town? We have our sights set on a rental house there that is perfect for our living situation (my brother in law is our room mate and this house has a type of in law apartment to it), just waiting for my DH to go interview for a job, he flies down tomorrow. From what I researched, it looks like a cozy little town where you can feel like you're somewhat in the country (but still have neighbors), and be close enough to Raleigh to be able to do things.

I reviewed the school on greatschools.org (we'd be in the Carver school zone) and it's a 5, which is better than a lot of schools I've looked up so far (some of the nice houses I liked, were in school zones that rated a 1 or 2 so I crossed them off the list).

I figure with a school that's a 5, if I'm really unhappy with it, I could look into magnet schools?

So is Wendell the town I think it to be? I'm looking for a family friendly, "say hi to your neighbors" type of town with some activities that my kids could get involved in (soccer, baseball, etc), that isn't too far from my in laws in N. Raleigh, (I want my kids to be close to them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,814 times
I bought a house in Wendell a few months ago near downtown and I have found it to be a very friendly town. I like it. Neighbors are friendly, not a lot of traffic, and the big shopping area in knightdale is about 15 minutes away.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
It's pronounced "win DELL" with the stress almost equally on both syllables slightly more on the second, but definitely the "Eh" vowel in "dell". Saying "WEN-dul" will instantly identify you as an outsider (though for a long time, a local (well, nonlocal) traffic reporter was doing just that, until I finally wrote into the station to complain about him ).

It is still a small town though the way this area is sprawling, it could become another Cary in 10-15 years.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
My friend lives in "when-dell" and says it is a nice, quiet town.

I'm sure all states have their uniquely pronunced city/town names. As a transplant, the other ones that always get me are "wilt-son" and "meh-ben".

Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It's pronounced "win DELL" with the stress almost equally on both syllables slightly more on the second, but definitely the "Eh" vowel in "dell". Saying "WEN-dul" will instantly identify you as an outsider.
Great! I'vebeen saying it "When Dell" for the past six years.

Never heard it called "Win Dell", but if old man Francois says that is how it is pronounced I guess that is just the way it is.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I say when-dell and always have.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Great! I'vebeen saying it "When Dell" for the past six years.

Never heard it called "Win Dell", but if old man Francois says that is how it is pronounced I guess that is just the way it is.
You have been pronouncing it correctly for the past six years.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM

247 posts, read 452,332 times
I've been told it is "when-dell" as well. I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing Zebulon right either.

It's a nice town though, small, but situated nicely being close to Raleigh. I like it.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Zebulon is pronounced ZEB-u-luhn, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
i have a good friend who lives in wendell and loves it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary