Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM

65 posts, read 267,122 times

Advertisements

I have been here about 6 weeks and I am feeling the quiet life, however I can't find a job. I have been looking on and off for about a year now. I have an interview on Tuesday, but I don't know if this is the kind of job that I am interested in or the pay. I answered an ad on career builder. Also, I find it hard to get to know people here. My neighbors are not that friendly at all. Has anyone else experienced this too? I thought it would be alot different moving to the south. People were more friendly years ago when I was visiting here. I have not posted in a while thought I would drop note. Any suggetions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 PM

76 posts, read 393,818 times
What kind of job are you looking for?

Re: friends
I think it is hard to make friends when you are older.
My suggestions:
If you have kids, join a mommy/daddy group.
If you like to cook, sign up for a cooking class and meet fellow chefs.
If you are athletic, join a gym, intramurals, outdoor/sport clubs.
If you like to read, join a book club.
If you are into furthering your education, take some night classes at one of the universities for fun.
If you are religious, join a church.

Just take something that you enjoy as a hobby or interest and meet others in clubs or classes that enjoy them too.
I know it is hard to meet ppl when you are new to an area but you have to be sociable and get out there.
Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni007 View Post
I have been here about 6 weeks and I am feeling the quiet life, however I can't find a job. I have been looking on and off for about a year now. I have an interview on Tuesday, but I don't know if this is the kind of job that I am interested in or the pay. I answered an ad on career builder. Also, I find it hard to get to know people here. My neighbors are not that friendly at all. Has anyone else experienced this too? I thought it would be alot different moving to the south. People were more friendly years ago when I was visiting here. I have not posted in a while thought I would drop note. Any suggetions???
Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear your struggling a bit. I don't know your personal situation, but good for you if you were able to move without a job, something we will not be able to do, although if you've been looking for about a year.... Family? Area? I would think working would be a good start to get to know people....

Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I have to say, I am from here, and when we moved from apex to wake forest (literally, all of my friends thought I had moved into never never land), my husband was working all of the time, and I didn't know anyone in wake forest! Honestly, I would do what the previous posters have said, join a group that you have interest in........I ended up meeting my closest friends through my daughter's preschool.

Hopefully the interview will go well. I don't know what field you are in, but are there professional organizations you can join?

Leigh

Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Yes, what kind of work are you looking for?

When I first moved here, it took me a long time to find a job, too. (My husband has lived here all of his life, and has worked at the same place for 25 years, so it wasn't an issue for him.) I took contract work that I didn't really enjoy, and kept looking in the meantime. It took me about 2.5 years to find the job I wanted, and have been there three years now.

You might want to think about taking a job that's not quite your ideal if you're feeling a bit stir crazy and need out of the house. You can always resign when you find something better.

As far as meeting people, there are tons of groups on meetups.com. Groups for just about any kind of hobby, interest, or profession. My 74-year-old widowed mother moved here last year, didn't know a soul except for my husband and me, and has met lots of people on meetups.com. It's been great for her.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM

65 posts, read 267,122 times
I am in the social services field with a bachelors degree. Thanx for all your help!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Have you checked with the NC Chapter of NASW? Their office is here in Raleigh. Maybe they can help?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
I am in the social services field with a bachelors degree. Thanx for all your help!!!
Definitely consider going back for your Master's

Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM

136 posts, read 589,826 times
Advice: Keep looking and praying hopefully god will answer your prayer soon. Good luck with everything and keep your head up!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM

20 posts, read 89,779 times
A good resource for career opportunities that is often overlooked are local churches. You would be surprised at the number of them that offer very developed career counceling and have recruiter contacts. One that I know of for example is Colonial Baptist Church - Cary, NC. They have a Monday job seekers meeting that is awesome.

Also, it is very important to make a personal connection with a potential employer. If you have a list of companies that you would really like to work for, I would suggest stopping in, and trying to make an appointment with someone in HR. Introduce yourself, and drop off a copy of your resume. The personal introduction makes a big impression. Just remember, this is the first impression of YOU, so make sure it is the most professional impression you can make.

Last edited by tri_crazy; 08-21-2007 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary