Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times

Advertisements

My next door neighbor in Connecticut had a trailer in his driveway along with 4cars, THREE metal sheds along the side of his house, and a broken-down above ground pool taking up his ENTIRE backyard. He also had a tacky concrete wishing well in the middle of the front lawn that he hung easter eggs on but never removed. The lot was around .16 acres. This was a $400,000 house in 2002.

I love HOA Subdivisions.

There are plenty of them that don't have postage stamp lots-you just need to look somewhere other than NW Cary to find them. I have a 1/3 acre lot that backs up to woods, in an HOA subdivision in Cary.

I love having access to a pool (or three) that I don't have to maintain. I consider this a huge lifestyle asset and in my case it is included in my $50 monthly HOA fee.

I really don't want to see your work truck or the car you are restoring in your driveway. Does this make me a bad person?

I like living in a place where people take pride in their homes and maintain them like I do. I like grass and landscaping. I don't like weeds and tree limbs in my yard. I like houses that don't have 7 years of dirt and mold on the siding or a car engine hanging from a tree in the yard.

If I decide to sell my house, I don't want your house's condition to make it harder for me to sell mine. I already went thru that once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
My next door neighbor in Connecticut had a trailer in his driveway along with 4cars, THREE metal sheds along the side of his house, and a broken-down above ground pool taking up his ENTIRE backyard. He also had a tacky concrete wishing well in the middle of the front lawn that he hung easter eggs on but never removed. The lot was around .16 acres. This was a $400,000 house in 2002.
Whoa! How did he fit all that on 0.16 acre?!? I'd love to see a pic of that. That takes skill.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Whoa! How did he fit all that on 0.16 acre?!? I'd love to see a pic of that. That takes skill.
sterling street fairfield, ct 06825 - Google Maps

Here is a link to the google maps satellite photo. My house is directly to the right, on .14 acres.

Note the three sheds and the trailer along the property line, and the pool and deck that covers the entire backyard.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:

Here is a link to the google maps satellite photo. My house is directly to the right, on .14 acres.
Speechless

Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM

54 posts, read 152,763 times
Can't believe that was going on in Fairfield, Connecticut!!!! I thought things were much more controlled up there! I feel for you.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

Note the three sheds and the trailer along the property line, and the pool and deck that covers the entire backyard.
Wow, in Fairfield? We were on .14 in NY as well....my neighbor's house was nice but on HIS .14 he fit a patio that took up 2/3 of the yard, 3 patio tables, a bar, one of those umbrellas that stands next to the table and overhangs it, a built-in grill/fridge/sink combo (that he never used), a small deck, a trampoline, an arched trellis growing roses leading into the yard, and a stereo system more suited to someone on an acre. Fortunately we had the village police to keep him and his parties under control....which all the neighbors used till he got the hint.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate05 View Post
I don't mean to stir the pot. Just trying to get an idea of the benefits of them. Maybe i'm being the dumb jersey girl right now but up there theres no such thing. Trying to get insider opinions is all.

NOt necessarily true. I lived in Central Jersey for a few years and owned a home with an HOA. They are good for some and not for others. Pros and cons, just like everything else. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
For every story about an out of control neighbor in a non-hoa neighborhood, there is another story about an out of control hoa.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Just a reminder, NOT all subdivisions have HOAs, right???

Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
That is correct. However, almost all new subdivisions have HOAs.

Most subdivisions have some form of restrictive covenants that say what you can or cannot do with your property. Without an HOA the rules don't change and the only way to enforce them is a lawsuit. With an HOA, the rules can change and the HOA usually has the right to enforce the rules through fines or a lien on your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary