Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 PM

519 posts, read 981,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
sterling street fairfield, ct 06825 - Google Maps

Here is a link to the google maps satellite photo. My house is directly to the right, on .14 acres.

Note the three sheds and the trailer along the property line, and the pool and deck that covers the entire backyard.
Wow, you could jump from the roof to the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post

Sounds like a party I was at once!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Sounds like a party I was at once!
Only once?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Bahhhh.

It lacks a tall oak tree with a sturdy branch to hang a swinging rope from...

Oh, yeah....
In my subdivision, sans HOA, I could do that....

Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate05 View Post
I don't mean to stir the pot. Just trying to get an idea of the benefits of them. Maybe i'm being the dumb jersey girl right now but up there theres no such thing. Trying to get insider opinions is all.

Just trying to get a sense of them... Are they mainly for familys then? Some of them have worse rules then others? I don't have kids. I'm in my mid twentys and will be living with my fiance. We prefer space and privacy. And we are looking to get a boat too so i want to be able to park it in my driveway year round without anyone saying boo. Is that the kind of thing that HOA can say no to? Like what kind of "rules" do they have....
Many of the HOA rules are to keep the value of the n'hood. For example, many will NOT allow you to park your boat on your driveway for more than a few days. If your boat won't fit into your garage, perhaps you can park in behind your fence (that is what I had a client do). Many will only allow certain types of fencing (usually NOT chain link).

My n'hood is older so we have less rules than some of the newer n'hoods. For example...we can't leave our trash cans out on the curb longer than 2 days. No big deal.

Like I posted earlier, I have seen so many n'hoods without HOAs and I have seen what people do that really do bring down the value of the n'hood.

Even without an HOA, there are still RULES that we must all obey...whether it is the city or the town or the county you live in.

My question to those that don't want a HOA would be...what is it that you want to do that you don't think a HOA would allow?

Vicki

Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

My question to those that don't want a HOA would be...what is it that you want to do that you don't think a HOA would allow?

Vicki
its no ones business what i do to my house or yard unless they are the ones paying for the mortgage, taxes and insurance. assuming of course it doesn't pose a public health risk

would i do anything that would violate even a fairly strict HOA? probably not. but its not anyone else's business what color i paint my house, if i add a garage, if i want to add a fence (wood, brick, chainlink or otherwise) or plant a tree, install a pool or (god forbid) have a different mailbox. And i certainly shouldnt have to ASK PERMISSION to change WHAT I OWN.

and thats what my issue with them is....

Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
I'm not quite getting this idea that people have about no subdivisions in the Northeast. Before settling on NC, we did a lot of house hunting in NJ, PA and Long Island, NY. Lots of subdivisions everywhere.

I think the kind of subdivision the OP is seeing a lot of here in NC is more to do with new construction than anything else.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I'm not quite getting this idea that people have about no subdivisions in the Northeast. Before settling on NC, we did a lot of house hunting in NJ, PA and Long Island, NY. Lots of subdivisions everywhere.

I think the kind of subdivision the OP is seeing a lot of here in NC is more to do with new construction than anything else.
Right. And newness means that planted trees are not mature. Historically, trees are planted at time of development, and we see 90 year old shade trees in front of 90 year old homes, wherever we go.
But, we have old subdivisions here, too.

Boylan Heights has a pretty nifty plat from the 19th century recorded at Wake County Courthouse. Small lots, then, too.
http://services.wakegov.com/booksweb...ocID=106762526

And from 100 years ago:

http://services.wakegov.com/booksweb...ocID=106760199

1918:
http://services.wakegov.com/booksweb...ocID=106748990

Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM

226 posts, read 609,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
its no ones business what i do to my house or yard unless they are the ones paying for the mortgage, taxes and insurance. assuming of course it doesn't pose a public health risk

would i do anything that would violate even a fairly strict HOA? probably not. but its not anyone else's business what color i paint my house, if i add a garage, if i want to add a fence (wood, brick, chainlink or otherwise) or plant a tree, install a pool or (god forbid) have a different mailbox. And i certainly shouldnt have to ASK PERMISSION to change WHAT I OWN.

and thats what my issue with them is....
Although I understand the purpose of HOA's and they may serve to protect property values and provide "continuity" in neighborhoods, I personally prefer to live in a non-HOA neighborhood for many of the same reasons above. Since I've lived here, I have re-painted my house, built an addition and a screened porch, replaced my front yard light, replaced my mailbox, done extensive landscaping, put up birdhouses, installed a play structure, built a fence, two patios and a walkway...all without having to get "approval" from anyone other than the City of Raleigh when permits were required. I can even keep chickens and goats on my property if I want to...all in the heart of North Raleigh .

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post

I thought that odd, too. I'm pretty sure that Levittown, Long Island is typically credited with being an early model for suburban subdivisions ... with restrictive covenants, etc.

It still seems to me that you have a choice here, especially as you move away from the "cities". Lots of houses around our little subdivision in NW Raleigh have no HOAs, etc,

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary