Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM

53 posts, read 95,638 times

Advertisements

So we're moving down this month, and before we leave tax free NH, I figured I'd get some school clothes shopping done at the outlets up here.

Only thing is, I don't really know what to buy. Will it still be warm down there for long enough that I should buy shorts and some pants? Can kids wear sandals to school? (some schools up here don't allow it because it's a "hazard" on the playground).

I could probably get some great end of season clearance deals up here if I need shorts, I just don't remember what month it stays warm until down in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM

82 posts, read 147,883 times
Shorts and T-shirts are fine. It will be warm well into September so yes you will probably start out warm weather clothing. The kids at my school are allowed to wear sandals and flip-flops (except on PE days).

Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 PM

53 posts, read 95,638 times
Awesome, thank you!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
Your kids could even be wearing shorts in the early part of October so definitely get some!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM

100 posts, read 290,386 times
It stays pretty warm here until the end of October beginning of November. The last two years my son has sweated in his halloween costume b/c it's so warm. That's not to say we won't have some chilly days in October but if you're coming from NH the cold here will feel warm to you. November, December, January, and parts of February can be pretty cold (again nothing like you are used to though!) and a decent winter jacket with hat, mittens, scarves is a good idea. The last two February's we've had some super warm days that pop up and then it goes cold again but our spring starts in March and the summer heat hits the end of May. As for sandals at school I don't know the rules. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that. I would say plan on shorts or pants and short sleeve shirts until the end of Oct. HTH!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Sandals and flip flops are allowed here in Chapel Hill. The one item we use the most here are light weight jackets. Kids need them for mornings in fall and spring and then it gets colder or warmer during the day. My kids say the school is pretty cold during spring and fall when AC is on.

Some kids wear shorts to school year round here. Kinda silly I think but I see it a lot. Rarely do we need boots or a bunch of scarves, ear muffs and hats but those things are nice when the few extreme days come or for playing in the snow.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Your kids will probably wear shorts into Dec....one of mine wears them practically all year. You will be able to find them down here a good part of the year as well, unlike up north.Sandals are OK on non-PE days.

Good luck with the move!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
I'm laughing at all these posts--must be by northerners! We are all out of shorts by September for sure, if only at the end What I find we go through the most of is jackets--you need layers here b/c a day can start at 40 and end up at 80. So plan to have your children wear short sleeves with a light sweater with a medium weight jacket. And then the layers get warmer as the seasons get colder. My kids have hoodies, windbreakers, light rain jackets (getting one with a fleece lining that zips out is handy), water-resistant coats from LL Bean, and so on. I buy snow boots very large b/c they don't get much use out of them and I'm hoping for 2-3 seasons with them.

My kids' school doesn't really want the kids in open toed shoes, but Crocs or slip-on shoes are fine except on PE days when they need tennis shoes.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
i dont even buy winter clothes until oct/ nov/ december? a couple of hoodies or light jackets maybe just for cooler mornings- but thats about it

shorts/ t shirts/ capris stuff like that
no spag straps tops as many schools dont allow it in their dress code

agree with the layers because it might be 40 or 50 in the am but 80 in the afternoon.

my kdis schoold never cared about what kind of shoes, other than for pe.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
As suedonym mentioned, check your dress code before buying! WCPSS doesn't allow the shorter shorts at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary