Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 19,152 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I are coming to Raleigh tomorrow to see the area and do some househunting! We are from LI, NY and may potentially move to the area. Our real estate agent will be taking us around and I was just wondering what communities anyone recommends we visit. We are a young family ( I am a nurse and my husband is in restaurant management). So far she is taking us to Bedford and Kitt's Creek ( I must see for myself!) It doesn't necessarily have to be new construction- price range mid 200's to mid 300's- and we definitely do not want to see communities where every house is the same! Thanks for your advice in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Hey, hi. I grew up in Oceanside. My wife in Long Beach, Island Park, and Cedarhurst.

First, be aware that building codes in NC are a sick joke. The new construction has the most risks for being garbage, and you need a thorough inspection. Soil is clay, so be sure it's evaluated. Sinking can really be a mess here.

We live in North Raleigh and find it very convenient. You may want to consider renting for a while if you are not sure where you really want to live in the area.

Hope you enjoy Raleigh. I know the tax rates will make you feel like you're in Heaven compared to LI.

If you are into religion, Raleigh has about as many churches as NYC has rats. (exaggeration but truthful)

We've been here 18 years ad still like the place even though growth has reduced the quality of life as it continues.

Dominic's Pizza behind Triangle Town center is run by a guy from Bkln. Yum!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 AM

150 posts, read 599,111 times
Dominic's is VERY GOOD!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
If you don't mind resales, then you may want to check out Stonehenge and Harrington Grove in North Raleigh. Stonehenge is a nice neighborhood built in the 1970s to about 1990. The location off Creedmoor Road is great, with convenient shopping. It is about equal distance between I-440 and I-540, and provides a reasonable commute to RTP.

Harrington Grove is a NW Raleigh neighborhood built in the 1990s. It is a nice family neighborood - pool, lots of kids, etc. It is convenient to RTP, and shopping is around a 5 minute drive away. You will hear airplane noise - sometimes enough that, if outside, you will need to wait for the planes to fly over before you can resume again - so if that bothers you, don't look here. If it doesn't, this is definitely worth checking out.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Recent Long Island transplant here as well.

We looked all over and eventually zeroed in on North Raleigh (areas mostly around I-540). One established neighborhood I always recommend, particularly with young children factored in is Summerfield North (borders on Strickland). We bought in Black Horse Run which is in an area you would best relate to as Upper/Old Brookville and at a price that's within your budget. We wanted a little more privacy and a decent piece of property for our two boys.

There are some great threads in this forum comparing Raleigh neighborhoods to Long Island. You should look them up before heading down.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
Same here, moved from LI in May. We are in Franklin County, which borders Wake to its North-East.

Bit more spread out where we are kind of like a Sound Avenue out-east on the Island feeling.

Where will you be working most likely? If anywhere in the North-East region of Wake I would check out Rolesville, Wake Forest, and Youngsville.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 19,152 times
Thank you all for your responses. I will check these areas out. As for work, i currently work at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and have my whole career- so oncology is my field- I will look into Duke first.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
You'll do fine.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
If you're coming from LI, I think you'd like N. Raleigh. Unless you are looking to be more remote, it has everything that you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary