Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM

9,763 posts, read 15,702,018 times

Advertisements

Our family of 5 is coming down for a visit this weekend. We want a neighborhood that has a lot of children - young children. Ours range in age from 4 to 9 1/2. I know Southern Village has a lot of children, and that's high on our list. But I also want to look at older neighborhoods as well that have bigger lots. But we don't want to move into one that doesn't have a lot of children (btdt). My second priority is to be able to walk somewhere - not just a walking path but can walk to the library or a store or a park - the more that is walkable the better. So far, I have on my list to look at Estes Hills and Bolin Creek. Oh, and we'd like to keep the price under $600K for a 4 bedroom 2+ bath. Lower is always nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 21,757 times
Lake Hogan Farms which is right off homestead rd is a great neighborhood!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
vvk

7 posts, read 48,608 times
Agree that Lake Hogan Farms is a great neighborhood with lots of kids, but it doesn't quite meet the 'walkable' criteria. There's a lake and a playground, but it's mostly a self-contained community. Winmore (also off Homestead Rd) is supposed to have some central shops when it's completed and I would expect a lot of kids there. Meadowmont is a lot like Southern Village - very walkable, small lots.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the recs. We are heading down tomorrow to drive around and narrow down what we like. I am excited!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM

54 posts, read 152,275 times
Briar Chapel is loaded with kids and incredible amenities, 2 pools, waterslides, 22 miles of walking and hiking trails; shops are coming in the development plan, along with lots of other things (county library, amphitheatre, etc.). One builder is opening up a new phase with lots up to half an acre. And for 500-600K, you could build an incredible house there. And David Weekley is building larger homes in the new phase as well (up to 3200 sq ft.)

I am biased, we are moving in there next month. My kids are older teens, but I really wished we'd been in a neighborhood like this when they were younger. Looks like a blast for the younger kids.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM

54 posts, read 152,275 times
Meant to mention, Briar Chapel is on 15-501 S about 4 miles south of Southern Village, just over the Chatham County Line. And the lower Chatham county taxes.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,802,123 times
go into all the neighborhoods along Homestead and you will find lots of young kids- when it isn't too hot outside. Hard to get a good idea of kids this time of year but neighborhoods around elementary schools are your best bet.
Chatham County will not give you the great schools you are probably looking for in Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent1 View Post
Briar Chapel is loaded with kids and incredible amenities, 2 pools, waterslides, 22 miles of walking and hiking trails; shops are coming in the development plan, along with lots of other things (county library, amphitheatre, etc.). One builder is opening up a new phase with lots up to half an acre. And for 500-600K, you could build an incredible house there. And David Weekley is building larger homes in the new phase as well (up to 3200 sq ft.)

I am biased, we are moving in there next month. My kids are older teens, but I really wished we'd been in a neighborhood like this when they were younger. Looks like a blast for the younger kids.
I saw a picture of their pool and waterslides - it looks amazing! We are planning to stay in the Chapel Hill School district though and to keep it as easy as possible for my husband to commute to Burlington. Good luck with your move. It sounds like a great fit for your family!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
go into all the neighborhoods along Homestead and you will find lots of young kids- when it isn't too hot outside. Hard to get a good idea of kids this time of year but neighborhoods around elementary schools are your best bet.
Chatham County will not give you the great schools you are probably looking for in Chapel Hill/Carrboro.
Thanks - we will drive around all of the neighborhoods along Homestead. It seems like the newer neighborhoods have more children. And the older ones have fewer. That's sort of how it works out here to some degree. Although it seems like Estes Hills may have a lot of children. That's one area we didn't get to see last year when we visited. I'd love to be able to walk to the library - I'm a bookworm!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 PM

149 posts, read 282,925 times
There will be younger families around Estes Hills school, including Coker Hills, Lake Forest etc but they seem to move in when the previous occupants age out and downsize. We thought we'd be amongst lots of similar families with the proximity to the school, but we were surrounded by older folk. Blessed with great neighbors though.
As they move on people in their 30s and 40s are buying those older houses with the land. Lake Forest also has a lake that residents pay dues to access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary