Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me which one is the best school? I know that green hope works on traditional calender other than that is there anything which makes Green Hopw school better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,232,128 times
Green hope has more of a track record of scores since Alston ridge is so new, but I've also heard great things about alston ridge. I've just been through as this research during our relocation. We ended up at highcroft.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 14,650 times
I've been told that Alston Ridge is very impressive in terms of having technology embedded in all classrooms. Green Hope is a much older school with a higher population. Alston Ridge, last year, only had 50-60% population. I believe AR's Principal or Vice Principal came from Highcroft and she is excellent. I would check them both out and see what fits your child best. Good luck!!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM

52 posts, read 129,173 times
My son is at Alston Ridge and we are extremely happy there. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,682,133 times
All other factors being equal, I would always choose the school with the smaller population.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,081,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
All other factors being equal, I would always choose the school with the smaller population.
Agreed. I am not one who thinks technology makes for a better school--it seems to attract RTP-ers like crazy, but there's no substitute for an inspiring teacher and the human mind....so AR wouldn't draw me for that reason, and for being new, but the fact that it's so small is very appealing. The downside is that this school board is likely to take that away next year with all the changes and it could become crowded. No way to know.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM

75 posts, read 173,072 times
We are faced with the same decision. Data for Alston Ridge is also out now. Both Green Hope Elem and Alston Ridge have excellent ratings - 10/10 on greatschools. Alston Ridge Elem is very close to our house but we are hesitant after reading some reviews about the management.

I have taken tours of both schools and saw no major difference. Can somebody with kids going to these schools weigh in? Thanks.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM

911 posts, read 878,669 times
This is my daughters second year at Green Hope Elem. and we couldn't be happier. We have had great teachers and alot of support for her IEP. I am very impressed with the principal, she really listens to the parents and is super involved in everything. Most important is my daughter loves her school.
I have neighbors with children at Alston Ridge who are very happy. I don't think you can go wrong with either school, so decide if traditional or year round works best for you. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 AM

120 posts, read 236,090 times
We have two kids at AR for and are extremely happy. Love the school, the teachers and the year round schedule. They are only on one track at the moment(track 4) which mimics traditional schedule closely. Also, they are capped for next year as are many other local Elemantary schools. Both of my kids have had top notch teachers, and the facilities are great being so new. Also, I know there are comments about the administration. I have personally never had any issues and actually have had the wonderful and positive experience with them. Running a brand new schools of such size, with kids and parents,is no easy task, Im sure. I do also hear wonderful things about Green hope as well, so I agree that you can not go wrong with either choice. I would stay involved with the happenings of the board to see what they have planned for our schools regardless of your choice. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM

186 posts, read 658,498 times
I would choose Alston Ridge largely because the entire school feeds into Mills Park Middle School, creating more of a "neighborhood school" atmosphere. If your child goes to Green Hope Elementary, it is likely that many of his or her classmates will end up at other middle schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary