Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM

226 posts, read 506,845 times

Advertisements

With restaurants trying to move volume in heavier trafficked areas, I can understand faster pacing. Could be too that in more metropolitan areas there is more access to services and more things to do in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM

78 posts, read 226,332 times
We moved here about a year ago.

One of the reasons we did move here is for a slower pace of life. We lived in a town on the train line into Manhattan. We both worked in the city and had a nanny since we left the house at 7:30 in the morning and did not return until around 7:30 at night.

This is vastly different than the life we have in Apex. My husband still telecommutes for his NYC job and frequently works nights - always long hours. BUT, he gets paid very well for it and that is a pace of life sacrifice we as a family make so I don't have to work and we can afford to send my daughter to a specialized private school.

I do know that whether it be by choice or by culture, the slower pace of life here has done absolute wonders for my autistic daughter. We are so happy.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,954 times
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks the Triangle is a fast-paced area. Orlando, yes. It's gotten to the point where I hate to even drive through there, and that goes for south Florida - specifically West Palm Beach - as well. I grew up there, and saw it go from a sleepy little town where kids could ride their bikes pretty much anywhere, to a hot, crowded, crime-ridden city. Although traffic is getting worse up here, I still prefer the slower pace of life. And every time I travel somewhere else, I always miss the tall trees and all the greenery here.

Last edited by MarkCanWrite; 08-13-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 02:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
Agreed! Orlando is a zoo. I think those who really believe the Triangle area is "fast paced" are those who are from VERY SMALL TOWNS with a population of less than 30,000. They grew up in those SMALL TOWNS, never left those small towns, and are accustomed to a VERY SLOW lifestyle.

Unfortunately, I currently live in New Bern which is one of those small towns. Whenever I tell people I am from Cary. They say, "Isnt that near Raleigh? That place is such a big city. There is too much traffic. I always get lost." I always try not to roll me eyes because I know Raleigh is a VERY SMALL CITY and has little traffic compared to Orlando, DC, or Atlanta.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Regardless, the pace of live for each person completely relies on them
EXACTLY!

We moved from NJ to NC and my husband and I have felt like a weight has lifted off of our shoulders!! We just LOVE it here in Clayton!! Everyone is so nice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary