Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
So, I researched switching to Earthlink and found a thread on here that has me worried. The person cancelled RR, switched to Earthlink and had a horrible time.

Has anyone had a good experience switching to Earthlink from RR? What's the best way to go about doing it?
Call Earthlink and set up your account. After you get your welcome packet in the mail, call TWC and tell them you've switched to Earthlink. The process only gets complicated when you want to avoid their mandatory service call. The sad part is it's only a configuration change on the modem but they insist on sending someone out. I managed to get around the service call but it was a pain. Takes 5 minutes and a modem reboot to change the configuration on the modem if you can talk to the right person on the phone.

The reason you do it this way is because the price for Earthlink "from" Earthlink is $41.95 while TWC advertises a higher price to maintain their cable TV tax. I kid you not but the last time I looked it was ~$60 for Earthlink through TWC without cable when it should be $41.95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Call Earthlink and set up your account. After you get your welcome packet in the mail, call TWC and tell them you've switched to Earthlink. The process only gets complicated when you want to avoid their mandatory service call. The sad part is it's only a configuration change on the modem but they insist on sending someone out. I managed to get around the service call but it was a pain. Takes 5 minutes and a modem reboot to change the configuration on the modem if you can talk to the right person on the phone.

The reason you do it this way is because the price for Earthlink "from" Earthlink is $41.95 while TWC advertises a higher price to maintain their cable TV tax. I kid you not but the last time I looked it was ~$60 for Earthlink through TWC without cable when it should be $41.95.
I'll be the last one to claim to understand TW pricing and billing but it seems to me the TW website is offering the 10/1 Mbps plan for one year at $29.99/mo plus tax.

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 08-17-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Lastly, is there any other equipment I will need?
If you have older TVs, you may need to get a converter to decode the new digital OTA standard. One of the things that keep me with TWC is I have several older TVs that I just watch the lower 74 channels on, so I can plug straight into the wall jack. I looked at switching to uVerse, but would have to get several STBs.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I'll be the last one to claim to understand TW pricing and billing but it seems to me the TW website is offering the 10/1 Mbps plan for one year at $29.99/mo plus tax.

Frank
If it's available to existing customers and doesn't require a TV package it would be an option for a year at least. According to the Web site, standalone RR and Earthlink is $57.95 (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/shop/pricing.html - broken link), which is obviously ridiculous.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
If it's available to existing customers and doesn't require a TV package it would be an option for a year at least. According to the Web site, standalone RR and Earthlink is $57.95 (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/shop/pricing.html - broken link), which is obviously ridiculous.
That link leads to the TWC equivalent of list price. Ignore it and buy based on the special deals. Try this link, no bundle required.

Road Runner® | Time Warner Cable | East (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/learn/hso/roadrunner/ - broken link)

Frank

Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
That link leads to the TWC equivalent of list price. Ignore it and buy based on the special deals. Try this link, no bundle required.

Road Runner® | Time Warner Cable | East (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/learn/hso/roadrunner/ - broken link)

Frank
Nice. Whatever method is used to avoid the price increase is a good one.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default existing customers

Quote:
Nice. Whatever method is used to avoid the price increase is a good one.
Any existing customers able to get just RR internet at 10mb for less than the retail 58.00 price?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
2 PBS stations, one for the metro, the other statewide.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:38 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
I have a Roku box and watch NowhereTV (free).

Old 08-18-2011, 03:23 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
Default get hdtv antenna from monoprice

I pulled the plug on cable two years back....happy with Netflix and my hdtv antenna from monoprice.com

For only $16.46 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDTV Indoor / Outdoor Antenna | Outdoor HD Antennas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary