Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 AM

7 posts, read 16,647 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

We are looking to make a move to NC (Like so many others it appears!) Tired of high taxes, high cost of living we make a good income but the quality of life really isn't there.

I am a teacher of History. How is the hiring for teachers in the Triangle, or the coast? Lots of college institutions in the triangle I see. Has anyone gone through it already? Please let me know what some of the pitfalls of moving down there. I see a lot of pros and some cons. We really need to make a change.

I have a wife who is an accountant and two boys (4th grade and 6th grade)

Your help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 AM

285 posts, read 492,995 times
Are you looking to teach in high school or college? Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the hiring process in the local universities. To look for jobs in public schools, you need to check out the NC Department of Public Instruction website (Home - North Carolina Public School Jobs). There are some jobs posted, but with recent budget cuts, hiring is tight. That's not to discourage you from trying, but just to give you a realistic picture of the situation. If you're open to private schools, you can also look here: www.ncais.org.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times
i'm not clear from your post if you are interested in teaching at the university level or the K-12level. either way, it appears that both are tight for now. the K-12 systems are in a state of flux i the public arena (due to state & county budget cuts). i'm not certain of the private K-12 system but would assume that many laid off from the public school system may be applying for positions within the private system. as for the university level, my DH is in the process of completing his doctorate & we have been monitoring professor positions. while academia is hiring, the competition is fierce (especially in this area which is considered one of the highest-educated communities in the nation).

Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
I can tell you for the uni system, it took me 11 months of underemployment before I finally got a job at one of the Triangle universities last month. Personally I'd focus on the private universities since they seem to be doing more hiring than the public which keep getting hit with budget cuts. And I wouldn't plan on moving down until one of you has a definite job first. The market is tough!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

82 posts, read 147,850 times
I had no trouble securing a teaching job last year and was rehired this year to work in the same school. I think if you are good at what you do, present yourself well and have good references it's not that bad.....

It may be a tad late to be looking for the 2011-2012 year, most jobs have been filled at this point. I started sending our resumes in May and was hired in early June. I wish you luck whatever you decide.

One other thing to consider, NC teacher pay is pretty low. I took a huge pay cut moving from GA. NC is also a right to work state so no unions. I am really happy at my present school and Wake county is a much better run system than the one I cam from in GA FWIW.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelscubachick View Post
I had no trouble securing a teaching job last year and was rehired this year to work in the same school. I think if you are good at what you do, present yourself well and have good references it's not that bad.....

It may be a tad late to be looking for the 2011-2012 year, most jobs have been filled at this point. I started sending our resumes in May and was hired in early June. I wish you luck whatever you decide.

One other thing to consider, NC teacher pay is pretty low. I took a huge pay cut moving from GA. NC is also a right to work state so no unions. I am really happy at my present school and Wake county is a much better run system than the one I cam from in GA FWIW.
It is not to late to be applying. In the couple of months you should see a lot of jobs being posted as principals get a more accurate count of how many students they will have for the upcoming year.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,507 times
There are tons of jobs with both Durham Public Schools and Wake County Schools currently available for the upcoming school year, so you definitely have plenty of opportunity to get a job! Come on in to North Cacalak!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM

70 posts, read 285,768 times
HigherEdJobs - Jobs in Higher Education

Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM

70 posts, read 285,768 times
District Website — Durham Public Schools

Durham County Schools if you are interested.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 16,647 times
This is really good news. Thanks folks. I have a lot of work ahead of me now for towns! I'm sure I'll have a million other questions when this is said and done.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary