Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 PM

12 posts, read 15,283 times

Advertisements

I don't know of section 8 housing in Wakefield. Are you confusing Berkshire Village in a different part of town (27616 area code) that is section 8 with the Villages of Wakefield-Berkshire? They are two totally different areas.

With the new Harris Teeter at Wakefield and the Food Lion, I can only see a specialty grocery going in the Kroger building like Trader Joes or Fresh Market. It would be great to have a food coop in that area.

I believe the Wakefield shopping will get even better once the New Falls of Neuse bridge is completed. It will be much easier for people in Bedford and Falls River to get to Wakefield shops.

I heard that Forest Ridge Park will be adjacent to Wakefield and will be Raleigh's biggest park. Hopefully there will be greenway trails linking Wakefield to the park. That would be a huge plus--Wakefield needs more parks/pocket parks/playgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
I agree with NRal. I live in Bedford & I rarely go to the Wakefield area shops/restaurants unless I'm headed to Lowe's or to Wal-Mart because it's so much more convenient to go to the ones in Falls River or up at Kohl's.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I don't see another grocery store opening up in that spot. Certainly not somtehing like a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. My money is on something like a large electronics store or something like a Home Goods filling that space in the next year or two.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't see another grocery store opening up in that spot. Certainly not somtehing like a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. My money is on something like a large electronics store or something like a Home Goods filling that space in the next year or two.
Electronic store would be nice, but no HHGreggs

Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
Electronic store would be nice, but no HHGreggs
What don't you like about HHGreggs? I love the place mainly because they're on commission which allows me to haggle the price. I've bought a lot from them. Last purchase I made from them was an over-the-range microwave that their asking price was $268. I paid $98+tax for it. Awesome deals!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM

12 posts, read 15,283 times
I could see the space being renovated to be the Wakefield public library that was supposed to happen years ago. It would save the county money because they wouldn't have to pay for a new building and the location would be perfect for a library.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRal View Post
I could see the space being renovated to be the Wakefield public library that was supposed to happen years ago. It would save the county money because they wouldn't have to pay for a new building and the location would be perfect for a library.
I don't see the poperty owner viewing a library as a very profitable venture. There is more money to be made by leasing the space to a retailer of some sorts. Often times retailers not only pay rent but also pay a certain % of profit over a pre-determined amount agreed to in the lease. I beleive these are called "overages". So the landlord not only makes money on the lease, but earns income on the financial success of the business they lease too. That would not be part of the equation if it were a library.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM

273 posts, read 619,137 times
There was a half dozen trucks in front of Kroger on Thursday and Friday loading up racks and equipment and everything else you can imagine........ Before then the entire store was still there, just no food. Perhaps they are getting ready to transform the space, time will tell.......

Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM

53 posts, read 88,819 times
Quote:
I don't know of section 8 housing in Wakefield. Are you confusing Berkshire Village in a different part of town (27616 area code) that is section 8 with the Villages of Wakefield-Berkshire? They are two totally different areas.
I not familiar with Berkshire Village that you're talking about, but by your description, sounds to me like it's a housing development of sorts that is Section 8 folks... I don't think that's what the poster meant when they said Section 8 in Wakefield. There can be individual family homes, detached homes, townhomes, etc that can participate in the Section 8 program. The owner of the home rents out to folks that receive Section 8 vouchers and can live anywhere they want as long as the rent is within county-defined rent parameters. So, if the landlord is willing to accept that rent ceiling, they can participate in the Section 8 program. At our previous home in N. Raleigh, we actually had 3 different Section 8 families on our street that was filled with single family, detached (albeit, modest) homes. It doesn't have to be a housing project per se.

And especially if a landlord owns a few homes in the neighborhood, which I've seen in our first townhome down here, and choose to have all participate in the Section 8 program, then that can easily become numerous in a neighborhood. It's stable income for the landlord, as these benefits tend to string on for years as long as the tenant continues to qualify for the program and renews their lease.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
Quote:
That would be incredibly awesome. Who do we email to petition to get this under consideration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't see the property owner viewing a library as a very profitable venture.
Perhaps not, but it's still better than no lessee

If they have no prospects, guaranteed income from the county gov't would be much preferred to what amounts to a relatively risky retail space for anything other than a very large grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary