Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
...cut...

Maybe that's not the case here, but you're not going to get very far in business pretending it is the customers' fault for not overpaying for a commodity in a down market.
I'm not saying it's the customers fault however who is to at fault when the customer wants your 82 Plymouth Reliant for 1/2 the cost of just your materials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Just under 3000 SF for 175k? Do you want a manufactured home, or a stick built house on a crawl space? Most average houses are 90-110 a square foot.

You want a near 3000 SF home for ~65 bucks a square foot?

You're going to get the cheapest of the cheap for that amount of money and a lot of builders would lose money on that proposition.
Remember that is just the base price. You have to add about 20% in options just to make it a average house. So around 200K for a 3,000 SF house that far out doesn't seem that crazy. Builders make very little money if you do not add options on.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Just under 3000 SF for 175k? Do you want a manufactured home, or a stick built house on a crawl space? Most average houses are 90-110 a square foot.

You want a near 3000 SF home for ~65 bucks a square foot?

You're going to get the cheapest of the cheap for that amount of money and a lot of builders would lose money on that proposition.

You telling me the prices on the website are incorrect? I have visited a few developments and I can assure you they are real homes. It is what it is the prices are what they are.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
This sounds a lot like sellers refusing to drop to market price because it's less than they owe on the house. Unfortunately, supply and demand doesn't care what you paid for something a few years ago. Similarly, replacement cost or what you paid for land during the bubble has little to do with the price of a house on the open market.

It would cost me a huge amount of money to build a 82 Plymouth Reliant from scratch in my garage. If I do it and then can't sell it at a profit, it's not because buyers have unreasonable expectations. Instead, it is because the market has shifted and my competition is able to provide a better deal.

Maybe that's not the case here, but you're not going to get very far in business pretending it is the customers' fault for not overpaying for a commodity in a down market.
Thank you.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Remember that is just the base price. You have to add about 20% in options just to make it a average house. So around 200K for a 3,000 SF house that far out doesn't seem that crazy. Builders make very little money if you do not add options on.
No. This is with a garden tub and middle of the road tile instead of vinyl in the bathrooms kitchen and utility room. I'm 60 with no school age kids I plan on dying in the house I don't care if its a 45 minute commute to RTP that's how far my commute is right now. 20% is 35K you're off by quite a bit.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
I'm not saying it's the customers fault however who is to at fault when the customer wants your 82 Plymouth Reliant for 1/2 the cost of just your materials?

No one is at fault it is called a market.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 PM

379 posts, read 959,043 times
Also, keep in mind that while builders might not "lower" the price on a home, they are giving concessions. I know of someone who just bought a new home & received 17k in concessions....but the builder would not "lower" the price.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
$175K for 3,000 sq feet seems pretty low. Given you are talking about properties in Sanford and Creedmoor I am assuming a nice piece of land comes with it - making it even more you are getting for so little money.

I'm not sure I see the problem. Nobody is forcing you to buy there if you don't feel it is priced correctly. If there are better deals to be had ..... buy them instead. That'll show them!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
$175K for 3,000 sq feet seems pretty low. Given you are talking about properties in Sanford and Creedmoor I am assuming a nice piece of land comes with it - making it even more you are getting for so little money.

I'm not sure I see the problem. Nobody is forcing you to buy there if you don't feel it is priced correctly. If there are better deals to be had ..... buy them instead. That'll show them!
There is no problem that is not the point of the thread. I was basically asking if anyone else is seeing this as well. RE is going down nationally. Prices for new homes seem to be holding up or going up in NC.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
^^ Because we weren't as affected by the housing crisis as other areas. That is why pricing has come down but is now holding steady and slowly trending up in some places (as you have noticed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary