Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
This reminds me of the Far Side cartoon of a guy who goes to see a juggling act involving nuclear bombs, who expresses disappointment when a dropped bomb doesn't explode.

First, sure, there's always media hype around storms - hurricanes, snow, whatever. Have we not all figured that out yet? But beyond that, hurricanes are dangerous, and the variability in their paths means everyone needs to be on alert. Yes, the areas actually affected are going to be smaller than the areas that were threatened.

How about instead of carping that the storm didn't affect us as much as they media seemed to suggest, we thank God for our blessings and pray for those who will not be so fortunate in this storm?
Tried to rep you for this ..

Frank

Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 AM

233 posts, read 269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Where do I send in my scary weather-related photos? There's an 18-inch long stick that fell to my patio in the middle of the night! Can you imagine if that had hit my roof?!
I have a scary photo too. I had a decorative birdhouse sitting on my outdoor table and it was blown clean off the edge and fell on the ground. Just imagine what would have happened if that landed on those cute little lizards running around out there.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:

How about instead of carping that the storm didn't affect us as much as they media seemed to suggest, we thank God for our blessings and pray for those who will not be so fortunate in this storm?
You can say that again!...and thankfully this wasn't "the big one" it was looking like it was going to be. It's going to be bad enough as it is.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:23 AM

144 posts, read 468,770 times
It is over, right?
Not bad at all.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
This reminds me of the Far Side cartoon of a guy who goes to see a juggling act involving nuclear bombs, who expresses disappointment when a dropped bomb doesn't explode.

First, sure, there's always media hype around storms - hurricanes, snow, whatever. Have we not all figured that out yet? But beyond that, hurricanes are dangerous, and the variability in their paths means everyone needs to be on alert. Yes, the areas actually affected are going to be smaller than the areas that were threatened.

Wise advice, CH!

Many of us have been in this area long enough to know that we should be thankful for this...knowing that with little notice our lives could have been changed in an instant.

It would be foolish for our area to not prepare for the worst, and wise to be thankful to have received the best outcome.

And, while we haven't been too affected so far, there are many others areas still under attack. To the curmudgeon who complained about the media - be thankful you are not there!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
I can't see it getting any worst. Some leaves came off my trees, that's about it here in HS.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM

91 posts, read 180,925 times
Quote:

I couldnt agree with you more. Having gone thru Opal in Alabama, followed by Fran in North Carolina the next year, and then Floyd - I think it is very prudent to be prepared. I would rather people be aware and prepared then not stuck and not be able to get out.

While in Alabama I was on the air at a radio station in Opelika as Opal was coming thru. A lady called as the eye was about an hour away and said she was still in her mobile home and was crying to me on the phone. There was nothing I could tell her, at the time as she was safer in the mobile home than in the car. I just was there to listen to her cry. No one was evacuated in the area, because not only did we not have the technology we do today, we didnt have the media coverage to help us follow the storm.

This is the first true storm that we have had the internet and media, and even facebook where we can all stay in touch with friends and family. The media coverage is not just about people in the triangle, its about getting people to prepare.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 AM

I like a good laugh as much as the next person. But let's be real here folks, so far we've been lucky!

So, where do I send my scary photo of the folks who think this is funny and a media game?

I'd like to show them this the next time we are truly hit and they are crying about why aren't our emergency staff responding sooner...why don't they have power, why is their food going bad in the fridge, how difficult is it to get ice, how dare Starbucks close, whose gonna get the tree off their house, how are they expected to get around if a tree is on there car, why is the body shop quoting a month before they get there car back.... yeah, clearly you all have not been through this before...wait long enough, you will!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM

233 posts, read 269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
It is over, right?
Not bad at all.
Pretty much for this area. We will be on the backside of the wind this afternoon and there may be a few more sprinkles. It's been much ado about nothing here.

The outer banks will have some beach erosion correction to do afterward, but there won't be the widespread destruction the media tried to over hype for ratings.

There will obviously be some flooding well to our east, but we don't have anything to worry about here. I think the few thunderstorms we had this year were all much worse than the sprinkles and gusty breezes were are having now.

And BTW - No one wants to be destroyed in a hurricane, but it's alright to talk about how the media likes to over hype things for ratings. No harm talking about reality.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I can't see it getting any worst. Some leaves came off my trees, that's about it here in HS.
There seems to be large variables around the triangle. I'm in Knightdale...rain was very bad during rush hr last night. Gas stations were jammed packed, stores too, especially grocery. last night early morning we had heavy rain, power went out for a short while...now we have had gusts of strong wind, a constant light rain. I am looking at a stand of pine trees at the back of my house...they are swaying pretty hard. It's been like a regular, intermittent heavy/lite storm. I'm grateful for this best case outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary