Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 AM

10,005 posts, read 11,114,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I pray this does not effect us. I can't take listening to Dexys midnight runners on every radio station.
That is Eileen ..not Irene!! hahah

Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM

748 posts, read 1,373,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
That is Eileen ..not Irene!! hahah

Still sounds pretty much the same and you KNOW they will do something like that with Irene...UGH!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
I noticed the 11:00am 8/22 tracks had it heading more easterly, so over less land, more directly at us and coming maybe 6 hours sooner with more strength. Still, lots of time left for it to change course completely.

I am supposed to fly to the Ft Lauderdale area Friday AM for a meeting. Hopefully it stays weak enough not to do catastrophic damage so all I have to worry about is if the flight runs or not.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,648 times
Irene is a category 1 hurricane. Continued strengthening is in the forecast and it could reach "major" hurricane status by Thursday (if not earlier). Do NOT just focus on center of cone. We are still several days away from potential landfall. FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, NJ, Long Island and southern New England ALL need to be paying attention to Irene. Remember, the projected path only goes out through Saturday. Impacts could be felt farther north early next week.

Please God, none of us have time for a hurricane, IRENE please go out into the Atlantic away from people...thank you.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,153,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
I survived Hurricane Ike in a suburb of Houston, a 3 hour drive inland from the coast. We had massive damage to our home and town. We were without power for 12 days and water for 9. Do not think that just because we are inland that we are completely safe. Start prepping now just in case. Make plans, be safe. There is no need for panic if you are prepared and it doesn't take much if you start now. Besides, if we are all prepared, the bad parts of the hurricane will skip us.
Um, if this is directed at me, I think you missed the point of my post. WE ALL know how much damage hurricanes can do here. I was referring to the plethora of posts we get every hurricane season from others who are ignorant of such things.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM

794 posts, read 1,322,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
based on the headline, I expected nothing. Then I looked at the storm track and it is going to go right overhead.

hmm...too soon to tell, but considering we lost power last night for 3 hrs and had to scramble for flashlights & batteries, I think that being prepared is better than not!

Things we like to do:
make sure we have bottled water & flashlights
propane tank filled for grill
plenty of coffee, wine/beer, dog food, cat food & things that the kids'll eat w/o a stove...
eyeball the freezer to see what can be 'grill cooked' and eat up anything else this week
If we are getting winds - we eyeball the outside and bring in anything that'll become a 'missile'
If we are getting the rains - put in the 'tubes' for our gutters to divert water AWAY from the foundation a bit better
oh - and we charge EVERYTHING so when the power goes out, we have some form of technology for at least a little while!

What do y'all do?

Hmmm...now, what to make for 'hurricane weekend'. That is always fun to consider.
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds about the same as I did in MD a couple winters ago whenever we got hit with 2 feet of snow...over and over again. I lived in Atlanta before, but never worried about hurricanes.

Not trying to stir the pot, but just generally, any other tips on how to prepare if I ever do have to worry about it? Including tips for things I need to do around my house (townhouse)?

Thanks all!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,648 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I pray this does not effect us. I can't take listening to Dexys midnight runners on every radio station.

I hear you! The radio stations bombarded everyone with "Gloria" by Laura Branigan in 1985 when Gloria was approaching, during and after her hit to Long Island...I know the lyrics by heart...great for Karoke night LOLOL

Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,151,206 times
This will be my first hurricane if it hits. Exciting.... or scary.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:03 PM

286 posts, read 684,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Um, if this is directed at me, I think you missed the point of my post. WE ALL know how much damage hurricanes can do here. I was referring to the plethora of posts we get every hurricane season from others who are ignorant of such things.
My post wasn't directed at anyone or I would have quoted.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
This will be my first hurricane if it hits. Exciting.... or scary.
If it is anything like Fran, trust me: scary, not exciting. It may seem like an adventure to think about, but when rooves are blowing off and trees crashing through your walls for hours at a time, then no way to leave home because of trees in the road, and no power for a week, it's NOT fun. We all need to hope it goes east of the Triangle--preferably east of NC altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.