Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
LOL!

I'm curious, is this a similar pattern to that of Fran?

The track can change hour to hour; I'm just curious about it. Partially because I may leave Wilmington to go stay in the triangle should it go straight at me
Each track is different. Fran and Hazel took a Myrtle Beach/Wilmington to Raleigh track and Hugo took a Charleston to Charlotte track. More similar to Fran/Hazel right now as far as track is concerned, but not strength as of yet. Hazel was a very quick mover. I hope this thing doesn't stall or we could get a ton of rain.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL, that's "Come on Eileen", but I thought the same thing.
You are right, I thought that was the name of the storm before I saw its real name on tv

Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
This gets posted every year, so I'll save someone the trouble!
And toilet paper!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If it is anything like Fran, trust me: scary, not exciting. It may seem like an adventure to think about, but when rooves are blowing off and trees crashing through your walls for hours at a time, then no way to leave home because of trees in the road, and no power for a week, it's NOT fun. We all need to hope it goes east of the Triangle--preferably east of NC altogether.
Yep, thinking of Fran, I have never been so frightened in all my life to hear trees crashing down all around me and the house shaking...not knowing if we were next. It's no fun...

As for Irene...if it misses land but still dumps loads of rain on us...we need to hope and pray that another one isn't right behind it..I think that was the scenario with Fran...wet ground, strong winds, loads of trees down.

For newcomers..for hurricane season...have cash on hand, bottled water, gas grill, stock up on food, unscented candles, flashlights, tarps for worst case, perhaps old fashioned but hurricane lamps are actually very good light that last for some time. DON"T go to the grocery right before and stock up your freezer just in case you lose power.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcatfan View Post
This was a great list! I didn't even think about the propane tank when I was thinking about things we needed to stock up on. But, how do you make coffee without a coffee maker? I'm sorry if that's a stupid question.
If you don't have filters you can gently boil the coffee grounds in water, add a pinch of salt - an old hotel trick, and then pour it thru paper towels or simply into the cup and let it sit for a short while. It basically settles at the bottom. The coffee will be muddy like turkish but still good.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
My wife made coffee with Sterno during the last ice storm since it was so cold outside. Doubt it'll be very cold after Irene, assuming we get her, but we have a grill with a side burner also. Good idea about the camp percolator. I bought a generator after the ice storm, and of course we've had no need for it since. I got it mainly so that if the power goes out after a hurricane, I can run an A/C at night in the bedroom; otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't sleep at all.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Greg said it could be a monster, projected at a Cat 3 when it makes landfall in NC. See WRAL for preparation tips. This is not looking good. Preparing for a storm :: WRAL.com

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM

187 posts, read 803,249 times
Jeez - total Murphy's Law! My kiddies are supposed to play in a soccer tournament in Wilmington this weekend...judging by the potential projected paths gonna be a close one down there. Inhope the tournament directors are smart enough to cancel intime so people don't travel down there unnecessarily.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Pesonally, I am liking the trend. Each run has it a little more east. It might end up being pretty mild for us, though it could certainly mess up the outer banks and up to NY on the current forcast track as it is pretty similar to Hurricane Gloria from 1985.

Also, if you have a cooler, its not a bad idea to go ahead and get some ice now. You can always use it gradually if nothing happens and somethign to keep water cold will come in really handy when theres no power and you won't have to try to open the refirgerator or freezer. Just make sure to take it out before the storm hits.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 08-22-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Milk and beer...I mean bread...
Just in case it rolls through Harnett County, we are off to get some water. Hope the neighbors have the bread and beer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary