Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM

388 posts, read 849,526 times

Advertisements

I'm somewhat of a CD forum h**ker lately because I have had so many questions about so many different areas, bit this will be my first question about this area.

Same old story, grew up in Maryland, joined the military and have been to Montana, Belgium, Texas and now live in California. I am looking to leave the service and go back to school in a few years, and am inn the process of getting all my research done and my ducks in a row, so that's why I've been all over the board lately.

I've already looked over a great wealth of data from other threads here and am usually good with research on my own, but I always find personal experiences trump anything I can read from a stat sheet.

Sorry it took so long to get to my question, but how are all the offerings in the Raleigh area? I'm speaking along the lines of cultural things to do. I know there are two museums downtown. From the websites they look somewhat small and I was wondering how good they are for a once in a while trip. I also see the museum in Durham has a variety of animals, which excites me because I see nearest actual zoo is around 1.5 hrs away, does this make for a really long day at the zoo, or is it bearable? Same thing with the great aquariums you have, it seems they are just too far to enjoy on a regular basis? Lastly, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the Railhawks. I am a big hockey and soccer fan, and was looking at moving somewhere I could see an MLS game regularly, but I don't know if that will be possible. I hear the Railhawks have a pretty devout following, how accurate is this and how is the atmosphere at the games?

Thank you for at least taking the time to read my post, and extra thanks for anyone who can help me with any of my questions!

Last edited by jifie; 08-24-2011 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Auto-correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
101 Things to do in the Triangle

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Hmmm, is there any way to change the title? I guess I should have labeled it differently since I dont really have suggestions on things to do, but specific questions about the things that I know there is to do that I've seen on that list and the specifics on how residents feel about going other places for some of the things I like to do.

Last edited by jifie; 08-24-2011 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Auto-correct...again

Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM

285 posts, read 493,467 times
I think I can answer a few of your questions:
  1. There are two museums side by side in downtown Raleigh: the NC Museum of History and the NC Museum of Natural Sciences. I would not consider either one of them small. They tend to have fewer exhibits, but those exhibits are usually extensive and very detailed. I have certainly enjoyed visiting them. The NC Museum of Art is also in Raleigh, although not downtown. They've just undergone a major expansion, and they hold lots of events both in the museum and on the grounds. The wonderful thing about all of these museums is that admission is free.
  2. The NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham is a great one to visit. The animals are a lot of fun, there are lots of great hands-on activities, and the butterfly house is amazing!
  3. The ride to the zoo is long, but certainly bearable. It's not somewhere I'd go every week, but it makes a nice day trip. I also love to visit the potteries in Seagrove, which is close to the zoo.
  4. The aquariums are definitely a hike from the Triangle. The one at Fort Fisher, near Wilmington (abt. 2 hours), could be a reasonable day trip. The other two would probably have to be part of a longer beach trip.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Personally, I find the zoo unbearable and disappointing. The drive there and back is okay, but while there, there is a LOT of walking, and not enough animals to make all that walking worthwhile. I've been there twice and probably won't go back again. And usually, I LOVE zoos. (I went to the Bronx Zoo earlier this year, and I absolutely loved it.)

Last time I was at the NC Zoo -- a year ago spring -- a few exhibits were closed, including monkeys and giraffes. I love monkeys, and my son loves giraffes, and we were both very disappointed.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Personally, I find the zoo unbearable and disappointing. The drive there and back is okay, but while there, there is a LOT of walking, and not enough animals to make all that walking worthwhile. I've been there twice and probably won't go back again. And usually, I LOVE zoos. (I went to the Bronx Zoo earlier this year, and I absolutely loved it.)

Last time I was at the NC Zoo -- a year ago spring -- a few exhibits were closed, including monkeys and giraffes. I love monkeys, and my son loves giraffes, and we were both very disappointed.
I have the opposite opinion. I appreciate the more natural setting. Yes, the animals may sometimes be on the far side of a large field and difficult to see without binoculars, but I think it is better than having them in a small confined enclosure.

My wife and daughter went to Disney's Animal Kingdom and said they thought the NC Zoo was better.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have the opposite opinion. I appreciate the more natural setting. Yes, the animals may sometimes be on the far side of a large field and difficult to see without binoculars, but I think it is better than having them in a small confined enclosure.

My wife and daughter went to Disney's Animal Kingdom and said they thought the NC Zoo was better.
Wow, that is very high praise. That reminds me of another question I had; how is it living without a theme park within 2 hrs? Probably not a big deal to most, but are there any smaller theme park-esque places closer?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM

447 posts, read 1,620,442 times
The NC Zoo has about 1,500 acres, of which 500 have been developed into natural habitat areas for the animals. I like the zoo because the animals are obviously better there than in the smaller areas at urban zoos. The elephant exhibit has some neat new features to see them better up close. There's a lot of walking but there are also little buses/trams that run through the park.

There's lots of stuff to do here. There are two large theaters (DPAC, Raleigh Memorial Auditorium) and lots of smaller local theater groups, big concert venues (RBC, Walnut creek), small concert venues (Booth and downtown Raleigh amphitheatres), and always some kind of festival/downtown party going on in one of the three big cities and smaller towns.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM

520 posts, read 1,017,030 times
We actually like the NC Zoo. It is a full day trip, but very do-able. We went about 2 weeks ago. Left around 9am and were home about 7p that night. The first time we went we enjoyed it so much we got a 2 year membership . Going back again in October for their Halloween Bats event.
Lovebrentwood - I agree the Bronx Zoo is far & away much better... but it is better than any zoo ever! You really can't compare, there is the Bronx Zoo & then everyone else. But among everyone else, I say the NC Zoo stacks up pretty well.

Along w/the museums you mentioned, I know there the Ackland Art Museum @ UNC in Chapel Hill.
Home | Ackland Art Museum | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
And Nasher Museum @ Duke in Durham.
The Nasher Museum of Art

For the Durham Museum of Life & Science you really want to get on their mailing list. They have all sorts of fun things going on. In September we are going to an adult-only "Science of Beer" evening. In the past we've been to the Science of Chocolate & Science of Wine.

Beyond that there really is sooo much going on. Free music, festivals, theatres, hiking, sports... You name it you can probably find it somewhere in the triangle.

What we found after moving here was signing up for things like the City Manager's report, e-mails from the visitors' center and "liking" most things on Facebook keep us in the know about what is going on.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM

520 posts, read 1,017,030 times
Thought of another one that might be interesting to folks.
Morehead Planetarium/Science Center @ UNC in Chapel Hill.

Morehead Planetarium and Science Center

Not technically a museum, but still pretty darn cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary