U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM

13 posts, read 46,749 times

Advertisements

We had a tree fall on our house back in June. Contractor recommended to us by insurance company sent us a roofer to replace the roof. My question is, should we hire an independent inspector to come in and inspect the roof once completed? I would rather know something was wrong now than 5 years down the road when the roofer and contractor are gone. Any recommendations for an inspector and how much would it normally cost to have the roof inspected? We do have some interior work to be done next (drywall,etc). Should we wait until all work is completed and then get an independent inspector?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM

447 posts, read 1,513,492 times
Rather than hire an independent inspector, why don't you ask who the roofer is going to be? Then you can review their reputation to see if they normally do a good job or not. Lots of folks on this forum would be able to give your opinions of the various roofing companies in the triangle.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM

The roofers just finished. They were given the job through the contractor we hired. They seem to have done a great job. I thought it may be worth the money to get an independent inspector out just to make sure everything looks good.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM

4,596 posts, read 5,322,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstercat View Post
The roofers just finished. They were given the job through the contractor we hired. They seem to have done a great job. I thought it may be worth the money to get an independent inspector out just to make sure everything looks good.
Are you concerned about possible structural damage under the roof or just someone to look at how the roofing material was installed? The first may require a registered engineer while the latter can probably be done by a licensed home inspector.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,084,758 times
just curious did you have to pay your standard homeowners insurance deductible or the 1% of home value deductible...i always thought it was the former but i think it's actually the latter

Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM

240 posts, read 1,108,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstercat View Post
The ONLY and I repeat ONLY way to know is to actually go onto the roof and inspect the craftsmanship of the installation. If you do not have the expertise to perform this function, then you should hire a professional who specializes in this service.

If the "nailers", (the fellows who actually "hand nailed" the roofing nails into the shingles,) followed the manufacturer's installation instructions then you are well on your way to a quality roof. Unfortunately, if they did not, then the manufacturer will not honor their material warranty. These simple to follow instructions are listed on each shingle manufacturer's website and printed on each bundle of shingles in English and in Spanish.

Hire an experienced pro, who goes onto the roof, and prepares a formal written report for a few hundred dollars to achieve the peace of mind that you seek to KNOW that your investment will provide decades of service without problems.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-27-2011 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,188,805 times
I was stopping in to make a recommendation, but the one I was going to recommend to you has just weighed in. Mr. Hicks is an expert among experts, and this building inspector would suggest you have him verify installation.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Meanieme-we have had to pay our deductible for the whole repair. However, the shingles on our roof are 7 years old and they do not make them anymore. So..since the insurance company will only pay to replace the part that was damaged (which was about 70% of the roof). We have had to come out of pocket for the remaining cost of the roof. We could have left it mismatched BUT figured we would go ahead and pay the difference so the roof looks cohesive.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-27-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 PM

240 posts, read 1,108,426 times
There are many in the construction field who are professional and experienced. However, there are a great many more who THINK they are knowledgeable; but prove to be misinformed or who are intentionally out to make a quick buck.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-27-2011 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,987 times
Is it common for roofers to leave excess materials such as shingles & tacks at the home when they are finished? Also I am concerned about the large amount of shingles (15+ packages) that were left in my driveway. Something seems wonky. The crew did not communicate at all and just left this stacked in my driveway. I feel like I need a roof inspection now because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary