Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The problem isn't with the cops, wake county or the kids. It's your grumpy neighbor. Go talk to them and work it out. Anything other than that will lead to nothing more than sabre rattling and frustration on your part. Good Luck.
The kids' parents should be the ones doing the complaining. OP has admirable intentions, but technically it's "none of his/her business" and could just stir up trouble with the neighbor in question.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The kids' parents should be the ones doing the complaining. OP has admirable intentions, but technically it's "none of his/her business" and could just stir up trouble with the neighbor in question.
I was assuming one of the kids was their's since the OP is the one providing the hoop!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Some folks work the overnight shift and sleep during the day. Instead of feeling entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want, why don't you suggest the OP try and work with their neighbor instead of being antagonistic?
Netbrad...are you the complainer?

It seems to me that if the OP were civil, it's perfectly logical to go and try to talk to the neighbor or figure out who is complaining. Furthurmore it sounds as if the complainer just doesn't like kids in general since they are "around the corner" and not even on the street where the activities are taking place yet continue to call the police.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM

181 posts, read 387,416 times
It seems that the OP is sure it is not a neighbor from around the corner complaining. Good luck to you though. If it were me I would much rather have them playing basketball than walking around with nothing to do. Youthful energy, imagination & boredum usually is not a great combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetae View Post
Ok so in my neighborhood that is supposed to have 9 phases before they build a playground (they have been on Phase 2 for the last 2 years) The neighborhood kids really have no where to play, so I allow them to play basketball in front of my house or usually in front of my neighbors house.

So one day I asked the cops what is the big problem, they are playing in front of my house, I don't mind them playing in front of my house why do the cops keep coming. His response was somebody from around the corner (which is a lie) keeps calling and saying there are kids playing basketball in the streets. And Wake County Ordinance forbids that. I asked the cop if this was a joke. He said He doesn't care but he has to do his Job. I said this is a block where cars really don't come down and when they do everybody gets out the way, why must they be harrassed for playing. He said its against the law for the Hoop to be in any part of the street and they can only play in the driveway, well my driveway is on a hill so thats not happening. And he told me next time they property owner can be issued a ticket. I just kindly told the cop not being a smart ass to get a fresh ticket book then , because I'm gonna continue to allow the kids to play basketball.

But does anybody else have this problem

Old 08-24-2011, 03:18 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Netbrad...are you the complainer?
No, just providing a possible explanation why someone would be bothered. The OP somehow "knows" the police officer is lying. I wish I had their power of clairvoyance. I will also give a -1 to whomever the complaining neighbor is for also not approaching this issue like an adult.

The polite and proper thing to do is try to find out which neighbor has the issue and try to resolve it like adults. Or, the OP can continue to be antagonistic to a police officer and feel entitled to do whatever they want. The nature of the OP's post is that he/she is looking for validation and justification of their actions without considering alternatives.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 PM

61 posts, read 114,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
If you are the one who put the hoop in the street, perhaps, but if it's just kids playing in the street in front of your house, I don't see how you can be held responsible.
I'm the one who bought the hoop...My kids play out there too....So I will be getting the ticket. And sure enough the police came out yesterday again. I wasn't home...but the cop told my wife. He thinks this is ridiculous, he said all he is going to do if he gets the call again is drive through and keep driving

Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
How do you know someone hasn't complained? Perhaps the kids are being too noisy. If you are in the city, perhaps the officer is referring to the following ordinance:

CHAPTER 3. - OFFENSES AGAINST HEALTH, WELFARE AND MORALS

If the basketball hoop is in the street it can be a traffic hazard regardless of how careful your children are.

I know somebody is complaining...its just not somebody on the other street as the cops keep saying its somebody on my block....And they don't have the balls to come to me or my other neighbor and say something...

Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
No, just providing a possible explanation why someone would be bothered. The OP somehow "knows" the police officer is lying. I wish I had their power of clairvoyance. I will also give a -1 to whomever the complaining neighbor is for also not approaching this issue like an adult.

The polite and proper thing to do is try to find out which neighbor has the issue and try to resolve it like adults. Or, the OP can continue to be antagonistic to a police officer and feel entitled to do whatever they want. The nature of the OP's post is that he/she is looking for validation and justification of their actions without considering alternatives.
I don't feel the police are lying about somebody complaining..I feel they are lying about it being somebody around the corner, in order not to cause any friction on the street, which there wouldn't be.

I'm not looking for validation for anything, but put yourself in my shoes for a minute. Would you rather all the Neighborhood Kids running around tearing peoples sh*t up....getting in trouble or would you rather the Neighborhood kids and Your Kids playing in front of your house, where you can see them...enjoying themselves staying out of trouble....

Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
I don't feel the police are lying about somebody complaining..I feel they are lying about it being somebody around the corner, in order not to cause any friction on the street, which there wouldn't be.
With all due respect, your "feelings" are irrelevant to facts. You're also accusing a police officer of lying.

If there won't be any friction then why haven't you found out why the person is complaining? Perhaps the kids are too loud, perhaps they play until late at night. Find out the issue and try to negotiate with the complainer. You are digging your heels in and not making an effort to resolve anything. Additionally, your attitude towards the police officer was appalling.

Quote:
Would you rather all the Neighborhood Kids running around tearing peoples sh*t up....getting in trouble or would you rather the Neighborhood kids and Your Kids playing in front of your house, where you can see them...enjoying themselves staying out of trouble....
If children are raised properly they won't do that if they can't play basketball. If your children are associating with neighborhood kids that will "tear peoples sh*t up" then you should put a stop to it.

And yes, I played in front of houses with other neighborhood kids when I was young. We respected our neighbors and if they had an issue they would discuss it with the parents. For example, several neighbors worked at the nuclear plant so we played well away from their houses when they were on night shift.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM

You say I should have a conversation with the neighbor calling the cops to discuss the Issue...that is kind of hard to do when I don't know who is calling the cops.

You say that my kids play to late hours of the night...thats a negative too...The latest they play may be 7:30 and thats on a weekend...

You say I'm appalling to the cops. Well everybody has their opinion. I told him the truth, I wasn't getting smart with him.

You totally didn't see what I wrote, I didn't say the Kids were tearing up peoples Sh*t...I said why even give them an opportunity....Kids at young ages do stupid stuff period...No matter how they are raised..

All Im sayin is this is the stupidest rule/law/ordinance I've ever heard in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary