Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which outdoor items are you moving inside to prep for Irene?
Nothing at all - I'll wait til the last possible minute and decide later 32 50.00%
I might move small or light items in, but most of my stuff is staying out 16 25.00%
I plan to move most of my moveable outdoor items inside 13 20.31%
Everything not bolted down 3 4.69%
The whole kitchen sink, even window screens! 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times

Advertisements

Regarding the accident, and then back to topic - I was crossing the Hargrove intersection on Millbrook going west on a beautiful October day when a man not paying attention ran a stop sign and nailed me dead center. I was unconscious but the EMS station was only a few hundred yards away and one of the workers there was outside sweeping and heard the wreck. They responded quickly and I woke up during extraction (briefly) and then zonked out again. On the way to the hospital I heard the techs discussing where was best to take me and one said "We have to take him to Wake Med trauma center" so I knew it was bad.

I spent 3 days in the ICU listening to other people die around me but luckily I only had a broken pelvis, multiple rib fractures, a punctured and deflated lung, a lacerated kidney, and a bruised spleen with lots of internal bleeding. After 3 days I was moved to a normal room and then spent another 3 days there. They would not let me leave until I could demonstrate being able to go up and down stairs and use my walker.

I'm pretty much fully recovered now, but I won't forget it.

Back to topic - is it me, or does the path as of 11am today appear to have moved a bit back to the west (just a tad)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Regarding the accident, and then back to topic - I was crossing the Hargrove intersection on Millbrook going west on a beautiful October day when a man not paying attention ran a stop sign and nailed me dead center. I was unconscious but the EMS station was only a few hundred yards away and one of the workers there was outside sweeping and heard the wreck. They responded quickly and I woke up during extraction (briefly) and then zonked out again. On the way to the hospital I heard the techs discussing where was best to take me and one said "We have to take him to Wake Med trauma center" so I knew it was bad.

I spent 3 days in the ICU listening to other people die around me but luckily I only had a broken pelvis, multiple rib fractures, a punctured and deflated lung, a lacerated kidney, and a bruised spleen with lots of internal bleeding. After 3 days I was moved to a normal room and then spent another 3 days there. They would not let me leave until I could demonstrate being able to go up and down stairs and use my walker.

I'm pretty much fully recovered now, but I won't forget it.

Back to topic - is it me, or does the path as of 11am today appear to have moved a bit back to the west (just a tad)?

Glad to hear you're recovered. Frightful wreck, bet you still twitch at intersections.

More than a tad on the track... many models onshore which is very bad for the OB

Frank

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
Quote:
Wow...what a story that photo tells. Glad you are ok!

Yes, I thought we were totally escaping the storm with perhaps a bit of rain. I can't find any info about what to expect here in the Triangle as understandably, the focus is on the OBX and the North East.

I'll be moving into the garage all the deck furniture, planters, etc. Also will move in the doormats. We had one blow away with Hanna.

Hitting the grocery store and the ABC store this afternoon for a few "provisions."

Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
WRAL is reporting the storm models are showing it shifting back east.

Breaking News:
Hurricane Irene's track has shifted slightly back to the west with landfall expected near Morehead City Saturday morning, according to WRAL meteorologist Nate Johnson.
Breaking News: Gov. Bev Perdue has declared a state of emergency for counties east of Interstate 95.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks folks. I'm really glad to still be among you. Could have been much, much, much worse. I have taken many steps to de-stress my life and live one day at a time and enjoy being in the moment rather than being worried about everything. I hope to teach my daughter a similar attitude about life. We cherish all the time we get to spend together and I hope nobody I know ever has to go through something like that. It was pretty awful and very, very painful.

Luckily, the western side of the storm is the weaker side. I still bet we get a lot of wind and rain but it shouldn't be too bad provided she doesn't begin going further west. Too bad the models are still so inaccurate even 2-3 days out!

I'll be watching this closely for sure.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Quote:
I need to go out of town, and plan to return home late Saturday night. I have to decide before I go which items, if any, to move indoors. So I pose this question to my pals here at C-D - in the form of a poll. Let's see your answers. I plan to begin my actions after work tonight at around 5pm.
Having lived in South Florida for almost 30 yrs (yes we were there for Andrrew) better safe than sorry, the smallest item can become a projectile and cause damage ! I know its a pain, a big reason why we moved from down there, to here, hmmmm with the tornado's here we may have went from the frying pan into the fire ! Good Luck !

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I stumbled across an interesting article this morning about the westward shift that I linked in the other Irene thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/20601532-post83.html

Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Having lived in South Florida for almost 30 yrs (yes we were there for Andrrew) better safe than sorry, the smallest item can become a projectile and cause damage ! I know its a pain, a big reason why we moved from down there, to here, hmmmm with the tornado's here we may have went from the frying pan into the fire ! Good Luck !
I am also from Miami - we went through Andrew also. That was awful - no power for I think 5-6 weeks at my house. I slept out in the car to try to get some breeze/airflow but it didn't work. We were some of the last to get power back.

I have a whole-home generator here and it usually guarantees the power will stay on ever since I bought it. Good peace of mind though.

As for my preparations, given the 2pm report of it still moving NNW at 14mph and winds of 115 and expected to go higher, I have moved everything inside and am prepared to cut my trip short if necessary. Food supply is good, as is milk, etc. Just got done taking pictures of everything in the house for insurance and will upload shortly.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,478 times
Quote:
Propane, sure, gotcha. I have LNG, no worries there.
Don't expect too many trees falling here from this one, but one of the many trees Fran dropped on my house fell right on the gas meter. Gas company got out here right away and shut off the gas, but took a while to fix it and get the gas back on.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I came across this, thought you might find it helpful - what do do when the power goes out. Take it from, do as they suggest in unplugging stuff so that spikes don't wreck your equipment...no fun having to replace stuff from power surges...
http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Do...owerOutage.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary