Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post
This SUCKS. Give the youth what they want. Condos within walking distance of bars and a Starbucks on every corner. The Charlottifornication of NC cities continues.

Any body know if School Kids will open somewhere else? It was the last of the Triangle independent music stores, I believe. If its gone, I'm doubly ticked.
In Durham, there's still Bull City Records (off of 9th St) and Offbeat (in Brighleaf).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
Okay, I love Sadlacks, don't get me wrong. Many great memories there. But I have to agree with NCSU in wanting a facelift at that end of the street. Most college campuses have a nice hotel across from campus (think Carolina Inn or the Franklin in CH) where alumni and parents can stay, and where they can have events. I can absolutely see why they want it...and why they want to make one of the main campus entrances have a better look and functionality...which empty storefronts and constantly changing storefronts do not make. But NCSU sunk some money into an upgrade on that roundabout, this is just a continuation. True Sadlacks and Schoolkids are a loss. I think Schoolkids can just move...again. I do agree that Sadlacks will be tough to move. Living very near this spot, though, I have to be an outlier and say I am for this.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah... you'd think they would've already figured out that the hotel thing isn't really going to work down there.

Idiots
Why not? On what do you base this? There are 34,000 students at NCSU. There are constantly parents, alumni, research/etc. small conferences/meetings, that are held on campus where they want to put people in a nice hotel NEAR campus. Where do these people stay now? Downtown? Crabtree? The Holiday Inn (old Brownstone) stays busy, but is VERY tired. The Velvet Cloak USED to be the place, but was definately in need of a BIG overhaul (it is now condo). I certainly see a new hotel being successful here. The Franklin and Carolina Inn are doing VERY well.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 AM

28 posts, read 56,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
In Durham, there's still Bull City Records (off of 9th St) and Offbeat (in Brighleaf).
Dont forget one of my personal favorites... CD Alley in Chapel Hill

Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Well the building right across from Sadlacks on the same side as Hillsborough used to be a hotel. Eventually it closed and NCSU bought it to convert to a dorm. Not saying a newer nicer place might nit work now but I can see why others are skeptical.

Hillsborough needs some life back though. It is nothing like what it was 20 years ago.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 AM

56 posts, read 109,038 times
how sad ....

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Well the building right across from Sadlacks on the same side as Hillsborough used to be a hotel. Eventually it closed and NCSU bought it to convert to a dorm. Not saying a newer nicer place might nit work now but I can see why others are skeptical.
I just drove by that hotel/dorm last night. It just got a REALLY nice facelift by NCSU. I had seen them working all summer, but had'nt driven looked lately. Looks much more hotel like, but I am thinking NCSU will be going more for the true hotel model (lobby, interior halls) with this hotel.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
Saddens me. I grew up going to Sadlack's with all of my mom's hippie friends hanging out there. I put in my time there too. I'll have to go back before they're gone.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
When are they going to be closing?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 AM

233 posts, read 269,984 times
I said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here. A case of unintended consequences. Be careful of what you wish for. When people want more urban growth, this is what can happen. In order to put in more of something, means you need to remove something else. There's only so much available land in densely built up areas. Something has to come out to put something else in.

Raleigh is not a tall city, so when we push to go vertical instead of horizontal, established buildings will be removed to make way. Again, be careful of what you wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary