Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:02 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any thoughts about the area of Wake Forest around where N White St crosses NC Route 98? This is on the east side of the railroad tracks. Is this a good safe neighborhood? What are the prospects for the future here? Other than the railroad noise, are there any other drawbacks?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Does anybody have any thoughts about the area of Wake Forest around where N White St crosses NC Route 98? This is on the east side of the railroad tracks. Is this a good safe neighborhood? What are the prospects for the future here? Other than the railroad noise, are there any other drawbacks?
Where exactly are you speaking of? General rule of thumb...it's not the best part of Wake Forest...but it really depends exactly where.....it's near the historic district, the old mill town (between the historic homes and the tracks).

The DuBois area is the tradtionally poor and Black part of town. However, the community has gotten some grants to help fix up the area....so it's, as most things a work in progress...and has been for a long time.

You go further up North White street there are some nice subdivisions and city parks, new tennis courts, ball fields and dog park.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
From what I understand, parts of it are Granville county.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Where exactly are you speaking of? General rule of thumb...it's not the best part of Wake Forest...but it really depends exactly where.....it's near the historic district, the old mill town (between the historic homes and the tracks).

The DuBois area is the tradtionally poor and Black part of town. However, the community has gotten some grants to help fix up the area....so it's, as most things a work in progress...and has been for a long time.

You go further up North White street there are some nice subdivisions and city parks, new tennis courts, ball fields and dog park.
Wow not only is the DuBois area poor but it is BLACK as well? Man remind me to stay away........what if it was rich and black would it only be half as nice because at least the blacks have money? Are you using Black as a deterrent/negative because it sure looks like it. Is it really called North White St or are you just using some more of your colorful descriptions?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Geeez I hope this thread has a quick sudden death before more people get frightened from moving to Raleigh. Moderator quick to the rescue

Old 08-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Wow not only is the DuBois area poor but it is BLACK as well? Man remind me to stay away........what if it was rich and black would it only be half as nice because at least the blacks have money? Are you using Black as a deterrent/negative because it sure looks like it. Is it really called North White St or are you just using some more of your colorful descriptions?
You are reading this post wrong, which shows me you probably don't know much about the history of Wake Forest if you are posting so stupidly about this area. Yes, the street is called White Street....it's the main street through downtown Wake Forest[/i]. Probably named after some family surname...not the color of any one's skin.

When Wake Forest was still a segregated town, the Dubois area was 'that side of the tracks'. It has a rich heritage for the Black community. The W.E.B. DuBois School was the 'Black School' until the 1971. Now it's a community non-profit (unfortunately there has been some infighting as well.)

The houses in the area are older, some run down, and many of the residents there remember when they were served at the back door of restaurants downtown, if at all. Many folks in this area are on fixed incomes, hence the need for grants and help.

The community is working hard for itself, but I've never seen any indication that they want to forget their history. Here is a copy of the plan they want to implement.

http://www.ci.wake-forest.nc.us/clie...%207-17-07.pdf

The local paper has had some wonderful history pieces about the area...showing both the good and the bad....such as having one of the first racially mixed volunteer fire departments in the area.

Before you make such comments, maybe you should do a little research.

However, I am also not going to sugar coat the area either. The homes are smaller, older, many are rentals, and have the issues that go with them (mainly lack of pride in one's home). I drive through the area almost every day, I do not feel unsafe, but yes, there is crime in the area.

I will admit it would not be my first choice of areas to live in Wake Forest ....but I live near there and don't consider it 'super bad' area and certainly not simply because of it's history.

Now, what were you saying or can't you get over that there is a street named White in town?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
From what I understand, parts of it are Granville county.
That area of town in not in Granville county. North of that you will have both Granville and Franklin county....but that is outside of the city limits.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Geeez I hope this thread has a quick sudden death before more people get frightened from moving to Raleigh. Moderator quick to the rescue
It's a good question and a historic area of Wake Forest. I hope it gets more folks to look into the area around the 'town of Wake Forest' and not just the fancy subdivisons on the outskirts.

There are plans in the works (see the link in the other thread) to moderize the area you asked about......which if they come to pass would be great...but that is still a big if.

Please don't let one's person silly post about the name of the street derail the thread!!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You are reading this post wrong, which shows me you probably don't know much about the history of Wake Forest if you are posting so stupidly about this area. Yes, the street is called White Street....it's the main street through downtown Wake Forest[/i]. Probably named after some family surname...not the color of any one's skin.

When Wake Forest was still a segregated town, the Dubois area was 'that side of the tracks'. It has a rich heritage for the Black community. The W.E.B. DuBois School was the 'Black School' until the 1971. Now it's a community non-profit (unfortunately there has been some infighting as well.)

The houses in the area are older, some run down, and many of the residents there remember when they were served at the back door of restaurants downtown, if at all. Many folks in this area are on fixed incomes, hence the need for grants and help.

The community is working hard for itself, but I've never seen any indication that they want to forget their history. Here is a copy of the plan they want to implement.

http://www.ci.wake-forest.nc.us/clie...%207-17-07.pdf

The local paper has had some wonderful history pieces about the area...showing both the good and the bad....such as having one of the first racially mixed volunteer fire departments in the area.

Before you make such comments, maybe you should do a little research.

However, I am also not going to sugar coat the area either. The homes are smaller, older, many are rentals, and have the issues that go with them (mainly lack of pride in one's home). I drive through the area almost every day, I do not feel unsafe, but yes, there is crime in the area.

I will admit it would not be my first choice of areas to live in Wake Forest ....but I live near there and don't consider it 'super bad' area and certainly not simply because of it's history.

Now, what were you saying or can't you get over that there is a street named White in town?
Very quick to "defend" your statement aren't we? Next are you going to say "you have black friends". Sarcasm followed the comment about White street, or are you too into yourself to notice that? My true comment was how you grouped "poor" and "black" together as two negatives about the area as opposed to just saying "it's the poor part of town". Does the color of the poor people matter? Would it be better if it was poor white people? That was the statement I was getting at not about the "history" or how much they are trying to "turn it around". You grouped the words POOR and BLACK together as negatives about the area not me. Look at YOUR words before lashing out at probably ANOTHER person calling you out as a racist or similar.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Yeah by the way if you would have gone with all of that information you posted about "the wrong side of the tracks" as opposed to "black" AND "poor" you would not have stirred this up. Fine I will do some more research on Wake Forest <yawn> but try doing some thinking before typing (you do have an edit option you know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary