Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 AM

65 posts, read 119,516 times

Advertisements

My family just moved to Raleigh from N. VA, and are trying to determine the best area to settle permanently (north Raleigh, south Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary), and the right private christian school for our daughter. I work in Morrisville. We are middle-aged conservative christians, but well-educated, so we are not rednecks. We want to live in a nice, low-crime, middle-class, family-oriented neighborhood (no college students and parties) with access to a swimming pool. We also want to send our 9th grade daughter to an excellent private christian school, and have narrowed the choice down to North Raleigh Christian Academy, Cresset, and Grace. It seems that NRCA is so large that it breeds cliques that are hard to penetrate. Cresset may to too small (good or bad)? Not sure about Grace. Trinity is too expensive. Also seeking a protestant church with contemporary music, strong youth group, friendly people, and excellent sermons. Can anyone give us some insight, orientation, or advice into the cultural or commercial differences between the major metro areas and these christian schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Do you have a price range in mind? Where will your jobs be located?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Being a Conservative Christian in this area is not a problem...people live and let live. Christians and non Christians alike. You would be moving to an area where no matter where you live you will have people with a variety of beliefs.

I used to work with a minister who raved over North Raleigh Christian. And have known some parents whose kids went there. They seem very loyal to the school and very pleased with it. I do not know how they rate academically, it's been a while since I've checked it out. I cannot speak to the issue you mentioned with kids grouping up but I expect you'll see that everywhere. My 8th grader has experienced this is WCPSS and particularly at one school. Ours is a very transient area and so friend/group dynamics will change...this is a positive aspect of it with kids leaving and coming here - always room for one more Sorry, I do not know about the other schools...I know of them but this is the extent.

If you were to choose NRC, where you live would depend on who takes your child to school. Do you need to drop them off on the way to work or is one parent free to travel in any direction to car pool? If the latter, you could look at homes in the Durant Rd area which is near 540 and commuting to Morrisvile from there is pretty easy.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 AM

413 posts, read 877,768 times
A colleague attends Friendship Baptist Church on Falls of Neuse
and is very happy there.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Do yourself a favor and visit Colonial Baptist Church in Cary at least once. I'd suggest coming Sep. 11 or later when the regular teaching pastor is back in the pulpit.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,764 times
Consider visiting several churches in the area to decide which is right for you. It may take a while, but it is worth the wait. I don't know much about the schools you listed. I would suggest that you meet with a counselor in each of the schools to determine what their students do and/or where their students go to college after graduation.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

186 posts, read 659,507 times
Have you looked at Cary Christian at all?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM

330 posts, read 984,751 times
You can check out the sermons at Connections Church online which may help you decide if it is worth visiting.

It seems to fit your listed desires for a faith community and it is convenient to Morrisville and all parts of the Triangle.

Raleigh Churches - Non-denominational: Connections Church - Raleigh, Cary, Apex

Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM

498 posts, read 853,967 times
I strongly second Colonial Baptist! Pastor Davey preaches the Bible in fabulous detail.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 PM

143 posts, read 416,968 times
Out of the 3, I'd recommend NRCA, with Grace a close second. NRCA is big, but 9th grade is early enough to get a good group of friends. If it was her junior or senior year, I'd definitely worry more about groups of friends.

For churches, Colonial is good, but make sure to check out Hope Community Church as well for a contemporary and community-involved church in the Cary area and see which fits the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary