Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtrnr View Post
Cary, NC – At approximately 11:49 PM, Wednesday, October 10, 2001, a Cary Police Officer, while performing a traffic stop, was shot once in the forehead with what is believed to be a 9mm handgun. The shooting occurred in the northbound lane of US 1 & 64 at Walnut Street. The officer, George F. Almond, 29, is alive and was taken to Wake Med Hospital.
News Release (http://www.townofcary.org/news/news2001/policeofficershot.htm - broken link)
Thanks.
It was a rhetorical question. I knew that when I asked.
Point being... nearly 6 years ago is "not too long ago..." for someone desperate for something puerile and negative to say.
It was a sad story and still is a sad story, and I think a little foul to cite it in this way.

There aren't many towns of 100,000+ where I would feel safer than I do almost anywhere in Cary.
That was true "not too long ago..." And it is still true today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 AM

76 posts, read 393,369 times
Yeh, I was curious myself as to how long ago it was...things like that unfortunately happen everywhere.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:29 PM

306 posts, read 1,304,901 times
The OP knows that Cary is a relatively safe place. Hence the title of this thread 'in Cary, of all places'. He was trying to show that Cary, a remarkably safe town, was becoming unsafe.

The posters did not get sufficiently scared by the 'beer stolen from unlocked garage' crimewave. At that point the OP changes tack and starts to dredge up old news stories to show that Cary is unsafe.

The Town of Cary has over 121,000 residents. The crime rate is very low but of course no place is entirely safe. I am astonished by the relish some people demonstrate in sharing news of any crimes that do occur in Cary.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
This isn't the only incident. It just stuck in my mind because a lady in our church had the same surname and a lot of us thought it was her husband.

Yes, places that have gotten as large as Cary can expect big city crime. That's just my point about the town's growth, isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary