Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 PM

53 posts, read 211,032 times

Advertisements

For all of you that have recently sold their homes in Raleigh, how long was it on the market and did you use an agent or did you sell it "For Sale By Owner"??? Just curious... Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm25275 View Post
For all of you that have recently sold their homes in Raleigh, how long was it on the market and did you use an agent or did you sell it "For Sale By Owner"??? Just curious... Thanks!!!
I have not sold a home in Raleigh, but my neighbor two houses down put her's on the market two weeks ago. It went under contract in less than 6 days. She had it listed with a realtor. There are two other houses for sale in my neighborhood that have been on the market for over 60 days, but they need some work and are priced too high and the listings are now "stale".

This is in N. Raleigh in the $145K-$165K price range.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 PM

35 posts, read 219,504 times
In all honesty, if you have an existing home, especially one that is 10+ years old, you will NOT get anywhere near your asking price.

Folks here are trying to jump on a real estate bandwagon that does not exist for "resells"...

Think about it, you are a buyer, you have a choice of a brand new, never lived in home with the latest appliances, amenities, etc for $200k or...

A 20 year old home that needs new appliances, HVAC, roof, deck, plumbing work, etc.. on and on for, wait for it... ALSO $200k

What would YOU choose? Seriously!??

"Mature Landscaping", "Inviting Garden", "Established Neighborhood" All BS!! I can get my own landscaping groove on in a year, 2 MAX

k thx bai!

This is a buyers market in Raleigh peeps, learn it, live it, take your profit and move on...

Old 08-16-2007, 08:59 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Where exactly are these brand new single family homes for $200K?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Actually, Skoldpadda, I am a definite exception to the scenario you described. My husband and I looked at both new homes and existing homes while house-hunting this year. We chose an existing home because we wanted mature landscaping & a larger lot. Our house was very well maintained and, frankly, the quality of the structure is better than a lot of new homes on the market (that's according to our inspector).

I live in a well-established, heavily treed neighborhood with homes that are about 20 years old. The average price for a home here is about $220K and - guess what - the houses sell! I've seen many homes here sell for at or very near their asking price within 2 weeks of hitting the market. It does happen.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I have to disagree on the older home thing. Many people buying older homes are buying them because they are priced well and because the lots are much larger, allowing the homebuyer to tear down and rebuild, remodel or expand. My parents live in a 30 year old neighborhood in west Raleigh and we've been ASTOUNDED at the prices they getting over there for 30 year old homes on 1/2 acre lots. Lots of tear downs and remodels and they stay on the market only for a few weeks, tops.
We also live in an older neighborhood in Cary and the houses here sell in days mainly because the lots are bigger and they are more convenient. We could have bought a brand new 200K house way out in Cary when we bought, but we CHOOSE to live in an older home, in an established neighborhood central to everything for a reason. We didn't LIKE the new homes with .2 acres, hollow doors, cheap siding, fiber glass showers, no brick foundations and 10 miles out from the center of town (not that they are all like that, but that's what we saw in the 200K range).
Luckily there is something for everyone here in the triangle. We have sold 2 older homes (25 years plus) in the last few years and have gotten way more out of them then we ever expected. There is plenty of money to be made in older homes in the area. Just look inside the beltline in Raleigh.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Yeah, you have to look at what you get for that same $200K or whatever. Don't ever forget the big rule of Real Estate (location, location, location).

I'm not in Raleigh, but over here in my Cary neighborhood, I've seen 2 homes go fairly quick, while several others are still on the market. The devil is always in the details. Some lots are better, some homes are priced better, some show better.

If your home is taking too long to sell, you might want to take a hard look at why. Maybe it is marketing (your Realtor or lack thereof, for instance). Or maybe it is your house. Yes, the market may be slowing down, but it hasn't grinded to a halt.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:26 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Clean, well-kept homes, on lots with few compromises, in great locations, with Sellers who present a good product to the market are in demand.

Goofy paint schemes, steep driveways, dirty busted up houses with damages don't do so well.

I was in Wakefield yesterday, and I always cringe when I drive past the backs of the $500,000 homes that are about 40 feet from the high-tension line standard.
Ugly, to say the least.

And...Yes. Location, location, location. Some things do NOT change.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoldpadda19 View Post
Think about it, you are a buyer, you have a choice of a brand new, never lived in home with the latest appliances, amenities, etc for $200k or...
To get a brand new $200k home you're going to be buying in the suburbs or 27610. Even in the suburbs, Holly Springs, Youngsville, WF, Apex, etc. builders seem to be targetting $300k and up.

In most of the areas where people want to live the only thing in the $200k's will be townhomes or clusterhomes.

As already stated, some people want a yard larger than .11, trees, an established community, character. Drive through Long Lake and notice that Pulte has 4 or 5 floor plans and thats it. Then go a couple of miles over to Umstead Ridge, a completely different feel.

There are pros and cons to both sides, just depends on what is most imprtant to the buyer.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
For what it is worth... our home in Cary was on the market for 49 days before we finally sold... Price point at $185K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary