Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

In the past, we used to NEVER "mess" with the septic system unless there was a problem! The problem was easy to discover because of the smell! Recently, I have heard from septic guys that you should have your septic inspected and cleaned about every 5 to 8 years, depending on who lives in the home. Teenage girls use LOTS of toilet paper!

I just closed on a home in Johnston County. The original owners NEVER pumped the tank. We had an inspection ($200) to determine if the tank needed to be pumped and if the pump, motor, etc. were in working order. The septic inspector said the tank had never been pumped...home was 11 years old! He also said it was full of "stuff"! We asked the seller to have the tank pumped. She did not agree. I had to argue with the listing agent for days! After all, it was the sellers S+++.

Seller finally agreed to pump the tank ($225).

In some states, the septic must be pumped before the home sells to another owner.

I would LOVE a law that states septics must be pumped/inspected every 5 years. It would make sense and make my life so much easier!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
It comes out to $4/month when you break down the 5 year extra inspection fee. Still a lot cheaper than having a sewer system!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
The Wake County website can show you the septic permit for your property. Just do this:

go to Real Estate Search

Enter in your name or address to find your property

On the account summary page, click on the "map" tab at the far right of the blue tool bar.

At the bottom of the frame on the right hand side, click on the "View Septic Permit" button.

Lots of good info here, including tank size, drainfield size, and system location relative to the property.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default fees

fees...
Thats what this boils down to.
The county is going to make money on this as well as now have to hire for a position to oversee the whole license process. I mean what is the penalty involved with having an issue with the tank?
Now tell me that septic companies wouldnt say there are issues when there are not?
Oh and I am sure that the fee will not increase over time right?

This isnt like 25% of septic tanks are failing.
Studies can be skewed these days to support any view point.

If this is the case, then why not inspect annually peoples crawlspaces for mold? (with a fee of course), or how about mandate clear garbage cans?

"For our safety" (just pay me)

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Oh my! This new rule will certainly stir up a lot of stink It's probably a good thing though. I believe most septic tank owners never give them a thought until it's too late.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default got the info 5 years

Called and it is indeed once every 5 years for a standard system, other systems are different.

I would agree with Vicky but I would change that it should be a requirement for a sale only. We just dont need more regulation and fees.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I just closed on a home in Johnston County. The original owners NEVER pumped the tank. We had an inspection ($200) to determine if the tank needed to be pumped and if the pump, motor, etc. were in working order. The septic inspector said the tank had never been pumped...home was 11 years old! He also said it was full of "stuff"! We asked the seller to have the tank pumped. She did not agree. I had to argue with the listing agent for days! After all, it was the sellers S+++.

Vicki
What pump and motor are you talking about ???

Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What pump and motor are you talking about ???
If the tank is at a lower elevation than the drainfield, it is necessary to use a lift station, i.e., pump with motor, to lift the effluent from the tank to the drainfield.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 18,872 times
Default Vote for more Government !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Wake County has passed new rules on ALL septic tanks, they will need annual inspections and to do that annual pumping (average pumping is 3-5 years). Just the cost of the inspection is 200 yearly + the pumping.

They have "put it off" for 9 months but I think that is only because there was a motion to have it recinded at a meeting. So I would bet that they will go ahead and enforce it in 9 months. Hopefully there will be more people against this:

Wake Commission considers septic inspection fee | Raleigh Public Record

Cary News | Wake delays septic tank rules (http://www.carynews.com/2011/08/26/42438/wake-delays-septic-tank-rules.html - broken link)
Thank God they are there to protect us......
I have lived with only 2 septic tanks in 41 years..... 1 28 years.... the other 13 years.... both worked perfectly & were NEVER pumped out....
Have known many more to operate flawlessly for 30 + years....

Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If the tank is at a lower elevation than the drainfield, it is necessary to use a lift station, i.e., pump with motor, to lift the effluent from the tank to the drainfield.
Didn't know that..I knew I have never had a pump & motor with mine..
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary