Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,439,280 times

Advertisements

These businesses know what the ingredients and the nutrition facts are for their foods. So why do you think they don't offer up that information on the spot? It's because they know it will reduce their sales. They do not want informed customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM

821 posts, read 1,457,001 times
Actually, FWIW (and aside from debates on how statistics can be really off, I think it's a little funny that a study involving NYC is published in a British journal!)...I found this on the Medical News Today website:
The most comprehensive study on the New York City experience to be done so far, published on 26 July 2011 in the British Medical Journal , found that average calories bought the year after were no different to average calories bought the year before labelling was brought in. And one in six fast food customers used calorie information and cut calories after the new scheme was brought into effect.

Of course, I would be the 1 in 6 who pays attention and wants to know!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 AM

234 posts, read 821,412 times
Most people that want to eat good wont go to a fast food restaurant, so that is why they are not seeing much of a change in the data. I have changed my eating style to be more clean. I rarely if ever will eat fast food.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Actually, FWIW (and aside from debates on how statistics can be really off, I think it's a little funny that a study involving NYC is published in a British journal!)...I found this on the Medical News Today website:
The most comprehensive study on the New York City experience to be done so far, published on 26 July 2011 in the British Medical Journal , found that average calories bought the year after were no different to average calories bought the year before labelling was brought in. And one in six fast food customers used calorie information and cut calories after the new scheme was brought into effect.

Of course, I would be the 1 in 6 who pays attention and wants to know!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM

527 posts, read 685,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
These businesses know what the ingredients and the nutrition facts are for their foods. So why do you think they don't offer up that information on the spot? It's because they know it will reduce their sales. They do not want informed customers.
Bingo! They do not want informed customers, so they don't go out of their way to have the info available.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,133,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
Most people that want to eat good wont go to a fast food restaurant, so that is why they are not seeing much of a change in the data. I have changed my eating style to be more clean. I rarely if ever will eat fast food.

John
It's not just fast food though. Many restaurants outside of NC, even non-chains, have started to offer calorie counts on their menus. It can be surprising how many calories are hidden in dishes that seem innocuous because of the way restaurants prepare them compared to at home. And these days it doesn't require sending your entire menu to a lab to be analyzed. There are plenty of free tools out there that give solid calorie count estimates using a recipe.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,226,951 times
I've never had problems getting calorie counts at restaurants in NC. I'm starting to wonder where people are eating that they can't get this info.

FWIW, I think calorie counts that are guessed at using tools rather than lab testing can be fairly misleading (inaccurate). There is just too much variation between ingredient sources and preparation to allow for accute calorie counts without lab testing. Besides, counting calories is one only pice of the puzzle if you are watching your weight. If you don't know the protein content or how many calories are from sugars vs. fats ect you are flying blind anyway.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM

449 posts, read 698,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan1 View Post
How did we ever live before the government started making restaurants tell us what was good for us?
You mean back when most people had jobs requiring physical activity, back before technology made it possible to process food for taste at the expense of adding fat and sugars (high-fructose and others)?

My points in case it isn't obvious: in the developed world, today's lifestyles + today's processed foods = a lot of unhealthy people. Having information makes it much easier to eat in a way that is healthy for each individual.

Independent restaurants though would find getting an nutritional analysis for ever-changing menus an onerous task, I agree.

To keep on topic (thanks DotM) here's another chain website, with some very cool tools to track the nutrition facts of their products:

Chipotle Nutrition Calculator 2.0

Or you can go to their big list of every ingredient too.

Last edited by weblackey; 09-09-2011 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Needed more cowbell!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM

527 posts, read 685,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
You mean back when most people had jobs requiring physical activity, back before technology made it possible to process food for taste at the expense of adding fat and sugars (high-fructose and others)?

My points in case it isn't obvious: in the developed world, today's lifestyles + today's processed foods = a lot of unhealthy people. Having information makes it much easier to eat in a way that is healthy for each individual.

Independent restaurants though would find getting an nutritional analysis for ever-changing menus an onerous task, I agree.

To keep on topic (thanks DotM) here's another chain website, with some very cool tools to track the nutrition facts of their products:

Chipotle Nutrition Calculator 2.0

Or you can go to their big list of every ingredient too.
That Chipotle counter thingie has me in nutritionist heaven right now. What a cool tool!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,439,280 times
Here is some research to inform the discussion:

Stanford Research: New Stanford Study Shows Posting Calories on Restaurant Menu Boards Lowers Customers’ Calorie Counts per Visit

Fast-food study finds calories count for little for most customers | Life and style | The Guardian

http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/20090630hermenulabeling.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary