Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM

527 posts, read 686,817 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Raleigh on and off for the past two years, and it's definitely grown on me. But in the past week I've asked for the nutrition facts, and both places looked at me like I had two heads!

I was surprised, I've also lived in the North (PA, and NY) and all the nutrition info is posted right there on the menu there. I just happen to be calorie conscious, but for those with blood sugar issues, allergies, or food intolerances, this is kind of concerning. I mean, if you're paying for it, shouldn't you be allowed to know what's in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Where does it stop?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
There is a difference between being told "what's in the food" and asking for "nutritional info". I don't really expect small mom and pop restaurants to send their food off to a lab somewhere so they can provide a calorie count on the menu. Maybe a fast food place or other chain can do this for you.

FWIW, I imagine most restaurants are happy to tell you what ingredients are in the food (ie peanuts, gluten ect) just not lab data like # of calories and grams of fat how much vitamin B ect...

Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Where does it stop?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
There is a difference between being told "what's in the food" and asking for "nutritional info". I don't really expect small mom and pop restaurants to send their food off to a lab somewhere so they can provide a calorie count on the menu. Maybe a fast food place or other chain can do this for you.

FWIW, I imagine most restaurants are happy to tell you what ingredients are in the food (ie peanuts, gluten ect) just not lab data like # of calories and grams of fat how much vitamin B ect...
Both places were a large coffee chain. I'd never be unreasonable and expect for a small mom and pop or a sushi place or somewhere really complicated to provide that info. But these places are supposed to have the into somewhere even if it's shoved back behind a counter somewhere and they have to pull it out. I wasn't asking for anything crazy, just a sheet with the rundown on it.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?
I think he means how far to we go on labels this and labels that. However, that said, I have Celiac as do many many people because it is more prevalent now. Nutrition labels containing information about ingredients is especially important to people with Celiac due to an allergy to wheat, rye and barley.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
I think he means how far to we go on labels this and labels that. However, that said, I have Celiac as do many many people because it is more prevalent now. Nutrition labels containing information about ingredients is especially important to people with Celiac due to an allergy to wheat, rye and barley.
Oh ok, I understand now.

I'm not trying to be some sort of crazy food person, but I was just really surprised that at both places, that they said that they straight up didn't have them anywhere. I thought it was a requirement? It just made me feel really stupid for asking, when in reality, I think it should be okay to ask for that, no?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Oh ok, I understand now.

I'm not trying to be some sort of crazy food person, but I was just really surprised that at both places, that they said that they straight up didn't have them anywhere. I thought it was a requirement? It just made me feel really stupid for asking, when in reality, I think it should be okay to ask for that, no?
the requirement is for chains of 20 or more to print calorie counts on their menus, along with the number of calories recommended for an average person per day. This was to begin going into effect this year, but I'm not sure what the phase in will be. I also don't think the law requires restaurants with 20 or more locations to provide complete nutritional data, like breakdowns of fat/protein/carbs, etc.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
the requirement is for chains of 20 or more to print calorie counts on their menus, along with the number of calories recommended for an average person per day. This was to begin going into effect this year, but I'm not sure what the phase in will be. I also don't think the law requires restaurants with 20 or more locations to provide complete nutritional data, like breakdowns of fat/protein/carbs, etc.

Thanks, that's what I thought...both of these places were HUGE coffee chains, so I'm sort of wondering what is going on there?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
hm. Don't know. I know that Panera prints the calorie count on the menu board. I never go to starbucks, so I have no idea if they've started publishing that data yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary