Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 PM

156 posts, read 304,948 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are spending 7 nights in the Triangle in a couple of weeks. We are looking to explore relocation sites---work and schools are not a factor for us. Budget no higher than $225,000. I'm thinking Raleigh is a sensible place to base the trip as we want to check out Mebane, North Durham, and possibly Wake Forest in addition to Raleigh.

Unfortunately we can't afford ITB hotels---we want to keep it under 90/night. MUST have in-room internet access and a decent breakfast (i.e. hot breakfast with eggs, not just rolls and cold cereal.) The Hampton Inn off Wake Forest Road (exit 10) looks acceptable, but I'm unsure about the convenience of the location. I read that you can walk to some restaurants from here which would be great. But is it a safe walkabiility, or across a busy road. From Google Earth it looked like the latter. When we go into downtown Raleigh, is parking an issue. (I'm a New Yorker who is used to having to hunt for spots.) Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Although that hotel is fine, it IS across from a busy street. There is a Trader Joe's across Wake Forest Rd, but I wouldn't really call the area walkable. I think a better choice in the same price range would be the Fairfield Inn by Crabtree Valley Mall. You would be directly off of 440, near 40, and you can walk down the hill to the mall (about .5 mile) where you have tons of shopping and food choices. In addition, it is right beside the city's greenway where you can walk, run or bike for miles.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. I appreciate this information. Unfortunately I couldn't find a site that has rates as low as below 90/night. I'm going to keep looking.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM

278 posts, read 577,040 times
We have enjoyed the Courtyard at Crabtree it is a nice hotel and we have usually paid around $75.00.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
When we go into downtown Raleigh, is parking an issue. (I'm a New Yorker who is used to having to hunt for spots.) Any ideas are appreciated.
Why not stay at the Clarion in downtown Raleigh? You'll be able to walk to a ton of restaurants and parking won't be an issue. Plus the rates I just looked up for about a weeks stay are at $82/night! If you want to get to something on the far side of downtown you can even take the free circulator called the R-LINE!

I recommend using either kayak.com or hotels.com to find a great rate.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply. I appreciate this information. Unfortunately I couldn't find a site that has rates as low as below 90/night. I'm going to keep looking.
If you call the Crabtree Fairfield Inn directly, they have a long-term stay rate for 5 or more nights that is significantly lower than the advertised internet rate. It is usually around $84/night.
1-919-881-9800
Fairfield Inn & Suites Raleigh Crabtree Valley Hotel info guide | Hotel features in Raleigh

Last edited by mizunomom; 09-04-2011 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: add phone number

Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Or use Priceline and see what happens. This time of year, you might get lucky.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 PM

I want to thank each of you for taking the time to respond to my question. I checked into every option you presented. We ended up going with the Clarion. Got a rate of $67/night. (Took some doing. The first few people we got on the phone quoted us prices that were actually higher than the online booking sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary